Display cards

Muergo 07:04 04 Feb 09

I think a lot of problems I have with garbling and peculiar screen behaviour can be put down to my old card.

It is an ATI 128 ultra rage 16mb which ATI won't support anymore.

In your tables for best buys, the results are all slanted to Gaming.
I never use my PC for gaming, my main interest is audio visual such as still photography, small amount movie and playing/downloading films.
What is the best card for my needs for the next three years, say.
Muergo

Kevscar1 07:11 04 Feb 09

If your PC is as old as the card you probably won't be able to upgrade, I doubt if your motherboard can take a new graphics card.

Muergo 07:55 04 Feb 09

My Dell Dimension 4550 is just over four years old, do you really mean it should be scrapped?
This months PC Advisor is all about keeping going until new Windows is released and bugs ironed out.
I admit I may need bigger HDD than 40Gb but have secondary 160Gb external for backup and extra photo store, 1Gb memory.

DieSse 09:03 04 Feb 09

You have an AGP slot. A GeFx 5200 or a 6200 will be a good upgrade. My system is older than 4 years and still runs absolutely fine. Scrapping it is afr away in the future.

click here

I've got a 6200 - the one shown here is fanless - so nice and quiet - that's the one I'd choose.

Muergo 16:50 04 Feb 09

Thanks DieSse but do I then remove existing card or is it doing something else as well. Cannot establish if resolved until I receive&install component.
More suggestions welcome, I might do all of them!.
Muergo.

DieSse 19:04 04 Feb 09

Yes you change the existing card for the new one.

Muergo 09:56 21 Oct 09

I bought an HD 4550 card but it is too long to fit the AGP slot on my Dell 4550.

Do you know if the 6200 you have will fit it?

My current card is an ATI Rage128 Ultra 16Mb which Windows7 analyser says won't run Aero .

It's the only component I haven't upgraded, all the rest is ready for W7.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Method Studios' title sequence for BBC series Taboo is truly unsettling

Best Pages for iOS tips | How to use Pages for iPad & iPhone: 7 simple tips to get more out of…