Display adapters

guesswho2 14:59 26 May 08

In Device Manager under Display adapters I see:
RADEON 9550
RADEON 9550 secondary
When I right-click and look into Driver Details I see the first one is dated 28/09/2007 and the second one is dated 21/04/2004.Could someone explain to this ole chump:
1)why there are 2 entries and
2)it possible to obtain any necessary updates simply by clicking on the update tab in Device Manager.

guesswho2 15:01 26 May 08

Sorry, I should have added; Windows XP Home, SP2

crosstrainer 15:07 26 May 08

I'm guessing that at some point you have used the card with multiple displays? In which case this can show as two devices with Radeon cards.

You can click the update driver tab, but would be better of looking for new drivers:

click here

Selct your OS / and card then download the new driver package.

mrwoowoo 15:10 26 May 08

Not exactly an answer as such,but in xp it's normal.
All my xp machines have shown 2 entries for the graphics card although my vista one doesn't.
Ihave never used two monitors or even tried to but i suspect it may have something to do with the option.
Best to update the graphics driver from the Nvidia or ATI websites.

crosstrainer 15:15 26 May 08

My 8800GTX shows only one device, my lappy (which has a Radeon chip) shows 2, and is frequently used for presentations connected to a wide screen TV.

Off thread, why does my tank keep getting blitzed in Crysis? (it's still your fault....got the game on your recommendation :)

mrwoowoo 15:21 26 May 08

I take it you have xp then?
I must concede,i do recall trying to connect the tv once,but the picture wasn't too great.
You are probably right,i do tend to tinker and the secondary device is obviously for an option for another monitor/tv.
Thats a hard part.
If like me you are trying to eliminate everything you see...don't.
I think you can just speed/scarper past most tanks etc with only minimal engagement.
The more fighting i did,the more i got hammered.

crosstrainer 15:24 26 May 08

Cloak and missle launcher I think....The tank was mine, (for a short while) but I think your way is best head for the tree's and blast em from there!

The laptop is MCE, but the 8800GTX rig is Vista ultimate.

mrwoowoo 15:29 26 May 08

Ah i remember.
The buggers with rocket launchers kept getting me.
Hit them with your mounted machine gun and use the tank shells on the other tanks.
Only stop as long as you have to and then move again.
guesswho2...... Appologies for hijacking your thread.Though crosstrainer has answered your question superbly,as usual,so you may possibly forgive us. (O:!

crosstrainer 15:31 26 May 08

Ah ha, the minigun, got you! :)

mrwoowoo 15:33 26 May 08

Oh,youv'e lost the tank.
I think i managed it with the tank (lots of attempts).
But looks like cloak and run/hide for you (O:!

guesswho2 21:21 26 May 08

Hi. I have never used 2 displays.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation technologies coming to Siggraph 2017

iPad Pro 12.9 vs Surface Pro 5