//some 3rd party need geo

display adapter problem driving me mad!!

NS42 10:17 31 Jul 04

I recently lost my internet connection (NTL Broadband)and my PC kept freezing. NTL advised me to reinstall the operating system (Windows ME) which I've done (twice).
My internet connection has been restored and the PC seems to be working OK, except I cannot get the screen display back to normal.
On boot up I get a message that the device is not properly configured and a wizard starts to search for the software. I've gone through this procedure umpteen times withhout any improvement.
In Device Manager the message says the device is OK but there is a problem with the main display adapter. (code23)
On advice I've installed the drivers for my NVIDIA GeForce 32 MX card from NVDIA's website, but still no joy!
In Device Manager the display adapter is consistently shown with exclamation mark in a yellow circle.
I've removed this device and rebooted to allow Windows to reinstall it several times, but no change!
I've used the Properties/Resources sub menus to search for hardware conflicts but the dialogue box reports "no conflicts".
I've taken out and reinstalled the graphics card but it makes no difference.
I continue to face 'basic' graphics, that make the PC a pain to use.
PLEASE HELP!

ScanJet 11:03 31 Jul 04

NS42,

The yellow exclamation mark would suggest that the card is still not using the nvidia driver. Can you just check in 'device manager/display adapter/properties/driver details' that the driver you downloaded is actually the driver that is being used.

I have a similar card running win 98se and after a reformat I had to take down latest chipset drivers as well to improve frame rate. Just a possibility.

jonnytub 11:06 31 Jul 04

just a note: my nvidia card got upset when bios settings weren't right. Make sure onboard gfx is disabled, fastwrite IS enabled, agp is set to 8Xspeed

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Google Allo? What is Google Duo? Google Allo UK release date rumours and features: Google…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These clever designs help visualise a complex intelligence tool

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…