Display Adapter Driver details - what does it mean

bill sykes 09:03 24 Apr 03

Hello. My system threw a tantrum the other day when I left it unattended for several hours and the error msg suggested I might like to look at my display driver. Everything is working fine still and it's giving me no more grief, but it did make me wonder, so I looked at the driver details.

Display Adapter - NVIDIA GeForce2 MX 100/200
The Properties box shows the following info -
Manufacturer NVIDIA
Driver Provider Microsoft
Driver Date 01/07/2001
Driver Version 5.1.2001.0
Driver Signer Microsoft Windows XP Publisher

Why does the driver show as 'Microsoft'. When the system was built would the graphics card have had its own driver software to be loaded? Or does Win XP have its own set of default drivers and it's not necessary to load the manufacturer's? Could I download the latest driver from NVIDIA (is it version 42.68?) and install it? Would there be any benefit? Or is it a case of 'leave well alone if it's working'?
Sorry for so many questions again, but as always I can only hope that others might benefit from your help as well. Many thanks.

Ben Avery 09:06 24 Apr 03

If it's working ok, I shouldn't worry but there would be no harm in downloading and installing the latest drivers so long as you make sure that they're the right ones.

I tend to agree with the "if it works, don't try to fix it" theory!

BA

barrie_g 09:20 24 Apr 03

with the new drivers installed you will find that games run faster and that graphics are sharper, sometimes when updating the drivers in xp when you run the setup it does not actually install properly so its best to check in device manager that they have updated if not just click update driver and let it run and it will then install and run the new drivers

bill sykes 10:42 24 Apr 03

Thanks. Do I download from the NVIDIA site (I think the graphics card was actually made by Sparkle). The one on the NVIDIA site (version 43.45 for WinXP) is 9MB. Seems big, but is that reasonable? I guess I take a restore point before trying to install? Sorry to be a pain, not done this before.

barrie_g 10:51 24 Apr 03

If you click here and take your pick though I would get one that is a few months old so that any bugs have been fixed you should not have any problems

bill sykes 20:43 24 Apr 03

I have installed version 43.45 (had to disable AntiVirus first) and all seems ok. I'm not a games player so I can't tell if it's an improvement but I tell myself it is! Thanks again for the advice.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Amazon Fire HD 8 review: A brilliant combination of function and value – with one massive caveat

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How to create an introvert-friendly workplace

Apple Watch 2 review | Apple Watch Series 2 review: New Apple Watch is faster, brighter, water-resit…