Dismayed with scanner quality

TommyRed 20:16 12 Nov 04

I have a HP psc 1210 all-in-one and have noticed the quality of scanned photographs is very poor. As the unit was still under warranty I got it replaced today, after a bit of a tussle about using compatible ink cartridges. It prints out fine from my camera shots but the scanning and copying of photos are real poor. Anyone got one of these and had similar problems? The dpi is defaulted at 200 for scanning photo's adjusting this doesn't seem to improve it much, any ideas? TIA TR

Jeffers22 20:27 12 Nov 04

All in ones tend to be a compromise and you rarely get anything but ordinary quality in either the printer or the scanner. Having said that, 200 dpi is a bit low for photo scanning in my opinion unless you want to upload the result to the web. Check the web for other peoples experiences with this bit of kit by typing the model number into google. Also look at the HP support pages.

Djohn 20:54 12 Nov 04

200 or even 75 DPI is fine for viewing on the screen but for a decent quality photo 600 is better. A high quality photo that your going to sellect a section of then enlarge and print will be better at 1200 DPI.

Having said that all my photo's that are going to be printed at A4 size are scanned at 600 on a Canon LiDE 50 scanner then printed at best quality on a Canon i850 printer. Can't tell the difference from the original or from one done at the photo shop.

TommyRed 22:14 12 Nov 04

They don't even look that good on the screen, my mate's got exactly the same unit and he has no problem from the default settings. TR

TommyRed 22:43 12 Nov 04

britto 23:22 12 Nov 04

have you had a look here, HP help
click here

TommyRed 17:15 21 Nov 04

Yes, didn't seem to help. Sorry for the delay in replying, had visitor staying for a week using the computer room, got no fingernails left. Funny thing is, photo's seem clearer when scanned as a document. Gonna go round to my mates and try his see if the prints are the same. I'll tick this resolved, even though it isn't. Cheers TR

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Microsoft Surface Studio PC release date, pricing, design, features and spec: Microsoft showcases…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This amazing app turns your iPad Pro into a Cintiq

Apple Q4 2016 financial results | Apple earnings report: iPhone, iPad and Mac sales down, profits d6…