diskmgmt.msc in Windows XP is Brilliant

powerless 21:21 22 May 04

Start, Run, Type:

Click OK.

OR: Start, Control Panel, Administrative Tools, Computer Management, Click on "Disk Management" on the left.

OR: Right click "My Computer" and choose "Manage". Now Click on "Disk Management" on the left.

Either one of the above should load the snap-in for you to see the drives [HDD CD/DVD etc] of your computer.

Your first drive [which ever type] will always have the value of: 0

This is your first drive. The second drive will be: 1

So if you have two hard drives you should see:

The above is also for CD/DVD etc.

In this snap-in you cannot do much with CD Drives apart from changing thier drive letters.

HOWEVER! ...with Hard drives you can do alot more.

If your hard drive is partitioned then you can delete and create new partitions within Disk Management.

If you are installing a new drive [from the packaging], then you will have to open up Disk Management first. Your drive will be seen in here and right clicking on disk1 [if you have two HDD] and choose "initialize".

You can now create partitions by cliking on the black line [on the right] and choosing "New Partition".

Follow the wizard as it's easy...

Note: You cannot expand, resize, Merge partitons from Disk Management for this you would need something like Partition Magic 8 click here

For your hard drive to be seen in My computer you must have made a partition but it does not necessarily have to be formatted. You can format the drive from "My computer" if you wish.

NOTE: You cannot delete or format the partition that XP is installed onto as Windows XP will not commit suicide.

Differences between a Quick format and a regular format during a "clean" installation of Windows XP: click here

For Hard drives over 137GB you will need Service Pack 1 installed for the size of the drive to be recognised properly: click here

[or] How to enable 48-bit Logical Block Addressing support for ATAPI disk drives in Windows XP: click here

How to change drive letter assignments in Windows XP: click here

XP Pro users see: HOW TO: Use Disk Management to Configure Dynamic Disks in Windows XP: click here

Charence 21:41 22 May 04

There's 32MB of HDD space on my HDD that I cannot seem to recover no matter what I do. I tried formatting it in CMOS which didn't work because it didn't let me and Disk Manager doesn't give me any options for this partition. It also won't let me assign a drive letter to this so that I can access it. Is there any way that this space can be recovered.

Also you say for HDDs over 137Gb need SP1. Do HDDs over 60Gb require this as my PC which has a 60Gb HDD will only recognise it as 32Gb. I tried to update the flash of BIOS which didn't seem to solve the problem. Any ideas? Disk Manager also cannot detect the remaining 30Gb of the Hard Drive.

tasslehoff burrfoot 21:49 22 May 04

Thanks Powerless.

I have been meaning to create a perition on my hard drive as I am intending to install Mandrake. Was a bit put off by the prospect of having to buy partition magic though. Looks like this could be the answer. Never knew it was there!

By the way I have 2 x 120GB hard drives, C has XP installed on. D has everything I have downloaded (about 4 GB) so can I still create a partition on D without losing my downloads?

Thanks so much for the info.

powerless 22:24 22 May 04

Charence - XP will recognise a drive of 60GB without SP1.

Look here: click here scroll down a bit. Just go to the maufact. of your HDD.

Tasslehoff Burrfoot - You can't create a partition on D as D would already be
a partiton.

If this is on disk1? If so copy the contents of D over to C [as its only 4GB].

Delete D and create new partitons...As your installing Mandrake leave "free space" [or empty space as mandrake sees it] it will be coloured green. When you install Mandrake tell it to use free space/expty space. click here

tasslehoff burrfoot 22:54 22 May 04

Do you mean that XP will see D as 1 big partition by default? If not then I haven't partitioned it. If yes, how do I know which disk is disk1? Or is it standard that the disk upon which XP is installed would be Disk0?

powerless 23:01 22 May 04

It's difficult to say without looking at your diskmgmt.msc as all were doing is throwing is letters back at one another.

D must be one big partition and C the same - So you do have partitons albeit 2. Now ignore C completly and focus on D. You can delete this partition and create new ones...one for data [your downloads etc] and leave FREE SPACE [no partiton] for mandrake.

No matter what copy everything from D to C.

You can install XP to disk0 or disk1.

Look in diskmgmt.msc and you will see which is disk0 and disk1 and which parition on which drive.

If you email me with a screenshot of your diskmgmt.msc and I can tell you exactly what you have as I can see it.

JoeC 19:37 13 Aug 04

to include in My Postings

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…