//some 3rd party need geo

diskless booting (ramdrive win98)

porkie_pies 23:45 27 Jul 03

hi im building a new comp which will boot from either a compact flash card or a usb flash pen drive thing, with win98se as the os. i would like to boot it from these then run from ramdrive. id like to kno if any1 has already tried this. if so how is it done? any info will be appreciated.

woodchip 23:53 27 Jul 03

First you will not get it to boot from flash card as there is no way of accessing the card from a clean system. And there are not many that recognise USB at BIOS start.

porkie_pies 23:57 27 Jul 03

i was hoping to create an image of my current os to a flash card connected to this.... click here . i kno for a fact that my bios is able to bootup from usb as my mobo is rather new.

splork 00:06 28 Jul 03

if the card/usb device is writable, ie win 98 can create a swapfile, no prob, but i dont think you can run `98 with just a ramdisk - win98 will generate a swap file on the boot drive/device, unless you run it in safe mode all the time

woodchip 00:10 28 Jul 03

So what do you do after you have booted the comp with it as you cannot take it out until it is switched of. The best way of testing your Comp to see if it will start with USB is to get a USB mouse and keyboard to see if they are recognized at boot.

woodchip 00:18 28 Jul 03

One more problem to think about when you load Win98, it as to boot several times, with the Flash card in it would be booting from this all the time, until you removed it. And it would have to be set in bios to boot from the drive O what an headache, It far simpler to boot from floppy.

splork 00:25 28 Jul 03

i think the `boot from flash/usb` idea is more to do with booting install CD's and like, not actual OS's (?). id like to know what the mobo manufacturers have in mind when they include such possibilities.

porkie_pies 00:28 28 Jul 03

the mobo is a via epia m1000-n. i've already tried booting it up with a stripped down unix distro using the usb, but would prefer win98se for simplicity.

splork 00:37 28 Jul 03

one of these new, weeny mobos eh. like i say, the main stumbling block, apart from what woodchip said about it rebooting off the same device (especially when installing software and the OS needing to update settings during boot) would be the need to create a swapfile - no point having a virtual ram disk in ram is there?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Google Allo? What is Google Duo? Google Allo UK release date rumours and features: Google…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These clever designs help visualise a complex intelligence tool

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…