DiskKeeper - stunnes, amazed, ...

VoG™ 23:24 08 Jun 03

I defrag my drive from time to time using the Windows XP utility. I have to do this in Safe Mode otherwise it just keeps restarting.

I read the review of DiskKeeper in the July Edition of PCA (p 64) and I thought, if it's that good why not try it? So I did.

It has just defragged a 40 Gb drive in less than a minute, and in Normal mode.

Am I dreaming or is this for real?

otubby1 23:39 08 Jun 03

I think you're dreaming because I, also, noticed the good reviews and reccomendations and tried it.

First, it took about ten minutes to get to 16%, at which point I gave up and went home.

Second, it looks so much like XP defrag I wasn't even sure it was running at first.

Third, I defragged with the XP system and it did the job in uinder ten minutes. I also have a 40 gb drive.

Just shows you?

Djohn 23:52 08 Jun 03

the less I do! My XP Pro. with 40g hard drive, (only 10g used so far), defrags in 3 to 5 minutes and that is with all 32 applications running.

Why do I have that many programs running? Well, that's how it was loaded from a format a while back. Seeing that it boots fast and runs with no problems, I decided to leave as is. j.

powerless 23:54 08 Jun 03

"I have to do this in Safe Mode otherwise it just keeps restarting."

I thought Windows XP defragmenter could defragment with files etc still being written and read from the drive.

I (when i'm lazy) have numerous programs open when i defragment.

hugh-265156 00:05 09 Jun 03

40gig drive on xp home and defrags in under 5 mins in normal mode and takes about 2/3 hours in safe mode???

hoverman 06:42 09 Jun 03

The defrag program provided as part of XP is a much scaled down version of Diskeeper. I have Diskeeper 7 (the full paid for version)installed which is set to defrag automatically - they call it 'set it and forget it'. Never had a problem and the first time it after installation it defragged my 120GB drive in just a few minutes. If you install Diskeeper 7 it replaces the built-in XP one.

anchor 15:21 09 Jun 03

VoG™

Having used Diskeeper 7 for some time, I also think you are dreaming. Whilst it is true that Diskeeper generally defrags in much less time, a 40Gb drive in under a minute is, (in my experience), really not the case. Perhaps you had very recently defragged, and there was very little to do.

VoG™ 18:23 09 Jun 03

Well, when I first clicked on Analyze it reported 19% fragmentation. I hadn't defragged for a while and i have recently done quite a lot of installing and uninstalling. The disk is only about 1/3 full.

Anyway, I'm happy with it!

spikeychris 18:34 09 Jun 03

Never used it but I have heard its a cracker. I defrag about once every 3 months or so, I have seen users defrag once a week..WHY???

XP, as powerless says it doesn't have to be run in safe mode...officially but every time I do it its in safe mode..

Chris

MartinT-B 18:59 09 Jun 03

I have my defragger set to alert me when my disk is 95% (or 5% framented) if I'm doing nothing special at that moment I click and let it do it's thing. Otherwise I finish and then defrag.

It usually takes about 4-5 minutes and happens once a week or so.

spikeychris 19:35 09 Jun 03

There is the argument that the more you defrag the less time it takes. There is also the argument that defragging wears out a drive faster then not bothering. Out of interest Martin, if your not doing anything special why does your drive reach 5% fragmentation in a week?

Chris

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Google Allo? What is Google Duo? Google Allo UK release date and features: Google Allo is…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…