//some 3rd party need geo

Diskette Format Converters?

dublincity 21:41 10 Nov 03

I have a Maxell MF2DD ‘floppy’ diskette that was used, some years ago, to store a hundred pages typed on a Canon Starwriter WP. I want to use it on my PC but the file name $$SAVE$$.$S$ cannot be identified by Microsoft. I have exchanged e.mails with Maxell who tell me that I would need to identify this file.

The following was pasted from a notepad that came up by right-clicking on Drive A;-
CANONETW1 V021 CAQ0001 TLCS-90 " VS160

Could it be Canon Pagewriter? I haven’t been able to find much on the internet except for an American company that provides a commercial converting service. PC World and others have advised me that I could probably dowload a converter utility – but I can’t find anything appropriate.

Any advice will be appreciated. Thanks.

ton 21:59 10 Nov 03
  DieSse 22:34 10 Nov 03

Go to Word - choose File - Open - set the file type to "Extract text from any file" - then see how the file opens for you.

You may have to remove the dross from the stsrt and end of the file, but you can often get the text out in one nice lump.

dublincity 23:18 10 Nov 03

Thanks ton, I've downloaded that Mac program (trial) & it just tells me that the diskette is in DOS - and then it goes circular! Thanks DieSse, I'm not sure what you mean - or at least, I did it but was just presented with a browse list of my programs.

Diodorus Siculus 23:25 10 Nov 03

Try opening it with notepad or with metapad (a notepad replacement) which will take out any form of recognisable text within the document.

DieSse 00:08 11 Nov 03

"Thanks DieSse, I'm not sure what you mean" .... so

Start Word

Go to File - then choose Open

You will get a browse window to select your document from (not program)

At the bottom of the Browse Window there should be a bar that says "Files of Type" - with a pull down arrow at the right hand end. Click on the arrow and browse down the list of file types to "Extract Text from any File" and select it.

Then in the upper part browse to your floppy drive and select the file you want to open. Double-click it -- and with luck it might open with just the text from it, and a splodge of rubbish at the start and end.

You can edit out the rubbish (if there is any) quite easily.

Hope this is clearer.

dublincity 02:13 11 Nov 03

This time, I couldn't open Drive A. I found the "Extract text from any file" in a 'properties' box by right-clicking the desktop Drive A icon. I found no bar that said "Files of Type" but somehow I opened the disk and got a page with 15 icons. I clicked on the first, got the choice of programs, clicked notepad as recommended above, then saw the document with the typescript mixed up with a lot of gobbledygook. I repeated with the other 14 icons and seem to have got everything saved on an OE message page which I find by far the handiest way of copying things. With two icons, I got a message to the effect that some different language (or something like that) was being used and did I want to go ahead. I did! Thanks everybody.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Google Allo? What is Google Duo? Google Allo UK release date rumours and features: Google…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These clever designs help visualise a complex intelligence tool

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…