Diskette drive 0 seek failure

imperial4cereal 23:42 31 Aug 07

So I took the only functioning piece of hardware from my Dell Dimension 2400 which was the motherboard and tried 3 different floppy drives, 2 IDE hard drives, 2 CD drives and 2 power supplies in every possible order. And I still get "Diskette drive 0 seek failure" at startup. I've also changed the boot sequence order, with no luck. Is there anything else I can do?
Thanks.

woodchip 23:47 31 Aug 07

This sounds like your Floppy drive, Have you got the Ribbon Cable on in Correct Orientation? You could also try it without the Floppy most Motherboards will boot from CD if you set it to, in BIOS

SANTOS7 23:54 31 Aug 07

When you disconnect the floppy and boot, it shows "Diskette drive 0 seek failure" because the option "Floppy Drive Seek" is enabled in the CMOS BIOS Setup. Try disabling it probably from the Advanced CMOS Setup.

imperial4cereal 00:04 01 Sep 07

I tried without the floppy drive and it loaded to the windows screen after a few command prompts, followed by a "windows protection error". Think if I took windows off the hard drive first, I might have luck?

SANTOS7 00:09 01 Sep 07

click here

could do, the link will explain more why you got the error message in the firdt place..

skidzy 07:40 01 Sep 07

Morning Santos7 & Woodchip.

" Think if I took windows off the hard drive first, I might have luck "?

I dont think its windows,its the bios or you have connected the floppy drive to the wrong end of its cable.
(Change ends that the floppy drive is connected to,(just as Woodchip has pointed out).
You do have the power connected to the floppy drive,dont you ?

Also check the bios,and make sure floppy seek is enabled and set to 1.4MB

Also check the bios boot order:

First boot device,as follows
1) HDD
2) cd/dvd
3) Floppy
4) USB (not always an option)

imperial4cereal 16:28 01 Sep 07

..."it loaded to the windows screen after a few command prompts, followed by a "windows protection error". My first question had already been answered. I now get "Error Message: Initializing Device IOS Windows Protection Error" after about 30 seconds on the windows loading screen.

SANTOS7 16:41 01 Sep 07

click here

not giong to well matey, error message is non specific so some more delving i'm afraid...
One question tho' have you formatted this drive at ant time...

woodchip 20:20 01 Sep 07

It could be over heating CPU or Faulty Ram

imperial4cereal 19:21 04 Sep 07

YES! you nailed it woodchip =D
It was a faulty stick of ram. Thanks guys.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…