DiskeeperLite and Defrag

wotbus@ 10:07 12 Aug 03

Until now I have read and been led to believe, defragging is something which shouldnt be carried out too often (notwithstanding type of useage etc).I decided to give DiskeeperLite a trial and sure enough it defrags in a fraction of the Windows time BUT its now telling me defrag needs to be run every other day it seems, even promps me to upgrade and set it to run every day! I have XP and the PC is used for some Digital Imaging/Flt Simulation/emails and a bit of surfing, what I would regard as minimal use. So to whom do I listen.

Jester2K II 10:14 12 Aug 03

The old school say "Defragging damages drives". Not so any more - Hard Drives are more robust and better made now.

Programs like Diskeeper (which i use) defrag "little and often" in the background rather than the "one big defrag every six months" approach.

At the end of the day it really down to what you want to use and feel comfortable.

wotbus@ 10:33 12 Aug 03

OK Jester2K II, thanks for that. I feel more easy now so will just let Diskeeper do its thing. I have to add it works very well and I suppose its the details it gives me are a bit scarey, perhaps a "Do it now" message would be more user friendly instead of the "thousand odd fragments and % bits and pieces everywhere". Thanks.

I have been usinf 'Diskeeper Lite' for years now and I have it set to run every couple of days.In all this time it has worked perfectly,so dont worry about it doing its own thing.

wotbus@ 10:58 12 Aug 03

OK jpieter, will do and thanks for the tip.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Amazon Fire HD 8 review: A brilliant combination of function and value – with one massive caveat

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How to create an introvert-friendly workplace

Apple Watch 2 review | Apple Watch Series 2 review: New Apple Watch is faster, brighter, water-resit…