Diskeeper freezes on 12%

Willow12 15:10 04 Oct 04

Right, I use Windows XP and thought it about time that I defraged it. I have had PC for 18 months and it has never been defragged in this time.

After checking for information on here I downloaded Diskeeper Lite to perform this task. Once the defrag process starts it takes about 1 minute to get to 12% but will go no further. Session status still shows as defraging but I have left it for close to an hour without it making it past this point.

I have gone though the chkdsk /r and chkdsk /f proceedures and this has not helped.

Is the problem simply that I have to be more patient and leave Disklite indefinitely to do its thing. This is my suspicion having neglected to defrag for such a long time I imagine it will take a while to do even with Diskeeper. Or is there something else I could do instead?

Thanks

Willow12

OwenLotts 15:18 04 Oct 04

Be more patient! If you haven't defragged for a while (18 months) then it can take a while. The built in XP defragger is a stripped down version of Diskeeper. Shut down as many programs as possible and just give it a few hours.

Then do it once a month and it'll take a few minutes each time...

bertiecharlie 16:03 04 Oct 04

If you still have trouble there is a very good free programme called Power Defragmenter 1.8 available from click here The website is a bit slow to open on my computer but you will get there eventually.

The author of this programme posts regularly on the Wilders Security Forum and his programmes are highly thought of there.

Power Defragmenter only works on XP and 2000 and comes in a zip file. Download to a folder of your choice, double click the zip file and click on "extract all files" on the left hand menu of your folder. Follow the XP Wizard's instructions. When you open the programme, click on "Defragment Disk".

I normally use Diskeeper Home Edition but have run this programme half a dozen times before thinking to recommend it to anyone just to make sure it works okay.

Willow12 17:09 04 Oct 04

Thanks both. I will try it again tomorrow when I have more time and will post back.

Willow12

GANDALF <|:-)> 19:17 04 Oct 04

Download enditall, use it and it will shut down all unecessary processes. They will restart on reboot..................click here

G

grey george 19:33 04 Oct 04

The first time I used diskeeper it over 3 hours to do a 40gig drive. I did have a lot of very large files. It now takes 5 miutes once a week.
Just give it time or run it over night.

Willow12 19:49 04 Oct 04

Looks like Enditall is no longer freeware now Gandalf. A pity as it looked like something that would have been usefull.

bertiecharlie 19:59 04 Oct 04

EndItAll from click here

bertiecharlie 20:09 04 Oct 04

PS. It is still free from the above link.

GANDALF <|:-)> 20:15 04 Oct 04

click here free from here. ;-)))

G

Sion 20:28 04 Oct 04

Let it run, when i run mine when my hard drive is pretty fragged up, it always stays what seems like forever on 12%, then suddenly jumps to 60%, and finishes about 5-10 minutes later. Let it run overnight.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

iPhone 9 and beyond: 32 amazing future smartphone developments - graphene, supercapacitor…