diskcheck

pat2068 00:11 01 Jun 04

my o/s is win xp home and the engineer came out to fix a problem i had with my ram he also changed settings in the bios since he has done this i cannot get the comp to do a checkdisk could anyone help as i never had this problem before and i dont even no how to get into the bios thanks leo

VoG II 00:17 01 Jun 04

Start, Run, type

dskckh

abd click OK

VoG II 00:19 01 Jun 04

dskchk

pat2068 00:22 01 Jun 04

sorry vog but it telling me windows cant find dskchk any other help thanks leo

VoG II 00:25 01 Jun 04

chkdsk

sorry

pat2068 00:32 01 Jun 04

vog it is running but warning F parametre not specified running in read only help please thanks leo

daba 00:39 01 Jun 04

has XP reverted to the old DOS chkdsk ?

isn't it "scandskw" in windows ?

pat2068 00:47 01 Jun 04

i dont no all i used to to was go into c drive right click it properties tools and check disk since the engineer changed the bios i now get writing on start up dident have that before and check disk isent working when i done it the way vog told me it would only work when i put in chkdsk but it was read only and the above warning do you know any other way i can check it i dont have any disks as all my files are on a partition h/d thanks leo

hugh-265156 00:47 01 Jun 04

F parameter not specified will be displayed because you didnt tell it /R or /F or /V etc

try start/run chkdsk /r and click ok

type y and restart

can you not run it from C:\properties\tools\error checking?

pat2068 01:01 01 Jun 04

no huggyg want let me do it that way either telling me it cant lock the disk when i try to reboot it either cancel or end now when i cancel it does nothing any more help before the engineer came out i could use C:\ properties tools error checking but not now as i said he done something in bios i now have writing at startup i dident have before help thanks leo

hugh-265156 01:16 01 Jun 04

writing at start up? can you elaborate please?

i had a few problems with chkdsk reporting 'cannot lock the disk' or similar before i applied service pk.1 the disk check aborted and i couldnt run it.

after sp1 it was ok.

are you all up to date with windows updates? click here and run a scan maybe.

as above what were the problems you where having before with memory etc? not that i think this is the cause but may help to know.bios settings i dont think should affect this either.

try going into your bios and note down the settings and then select 'set up defaults' save and exit and try.if it doesnt work(which i doubt it will) re enter the settings you noted down.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The updated 'Corel Painter inside Photoshop' plugin ParticleShop offers new brushes

New MacBook Pro 2017 release date, UK price and tech specs: Kaby Lake MacBook Pro to launch in…