diskcheck

pat2068 00:11 01 Jun 04

my o/s is win xp home and the engineer came out to fix a problem i had with my ram he also changed settings in the bios since he has done this i cannot get the comp to do a checkdisk could anyone help as i never had this problem before and i dont even no how to get into the bios thanks leo

VoG II 00:17 01 Jun 04

Start, Run, type

dskckh

abd click OK

VoG II 00:19 01 Jun 04

dskchk

pat2068 00:22 01 Jun 04

sorry vog but it telling me windows cant find dskchk any other help thanks leo

VoG II 00:25 01 Jun 04

chkdsk

sorry

pat2068 00:32 01 Jun 04

vog it is running but warning F parametre not specified running in read only help please thanks leo

daba 00:39 01 Jun 04

has XP reverted to the old DOS chkdsk ?

isn't it "scandskw" in windows ?

pat2068 00:47 01 Jun 04

i dont no all i used to to was go into c drive right click it properties tools and check disk since the engineer changed the bios i now get writing on start up dident have that before and check disk isent working when i done it the way vog told me it would only work when i put in chkdsk but it was read only and the above warning do you know any other way i can check it i dont have any disks as all my files are on a partition h/d thanks leo

hugh-265156 00:47 01 Jun 04

F parameter not specified will be displayed because you didnt tell it /R or /F or /V etc

try start/run chkdsk /r and click ok

type y and restart

can you not run it from C:\properties\tools\error checking?

pat2068 01:01 01 Jun 04

no huggyg want let me do it that way either telling me it cant lock the disk when i try to reboot it either cancel or end now when i cancel it does nothing any more help before the engineer came out i could use C:\ properties tools error checking but not now as i said he done something in bios i now have writing at startup i dident have before help thanks leo

hugh-265156 01:16 01 Jun 04

writing at start up? can you elaborate please?

i had a few problems with chkdsk reporting 'cannot lock the disk' or similar before i applied service pk.1 the disk check aborted and i couldnt run it.

after sp1 it was ok.

are you all up to date with windows updates? click here and run a scan maybe.

as above what were the problems you where having before with memory etc? not that i think this is the cause but may help to know.bios settings i dont think should affect this either.

try going into your bios and note down the settings and then select 'set up defaults' save and exit and try.if it doesnt work(which i doubt it will) re enter the settings you noted down.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…