disk type is not compatible

geedad 19:48 14 Mar 11

HP Intel i5, Windows Home Premium.
When I try to author (burn) DVD's, my PC reports that "This disc type is not supported".
This is a top of the range PC, where the drive has LightScribe facility,and the manual states that the following discs are supported: DVD-R,DVD
+r, DVD-RW,DVD+RW, DVD-Ram...
Very annoying when I take a long time to edit videos, set them all up with menus, etc, then on pressing the burn button, this message appears:

"This disc type is not supported".
I have been in touch with HP, and also the software makers, and I am awaiting there replies, but I have always trusted this Forum to come up with some immediate possible solutions.
Would appreciate some help,
geedad
( My external drive reports the same message, and that is an LG Multi-media drive)

lotvic 20:48 14 Mar 11

So what disc type are you using?
If your external DVD burner drive also gives you same message it must be the Make/type of disc. Maybe you've just got a 'bad lot'. Have you tried a different make of disc?

geedad 20:57 14 Mar 11

Hi, lotvic.
Yes, I HAVE tried all types, and they are from reputable manufacturers.
Thanks for your suggestion.
geedad

ams4127 21:09 14 Mar 11

Are you able to burn a CD?

woodchip 21:11 14 Mar 11

CD and DVD are not burned with same head

woodchip 21:12 14 Mar 11

CD and DVD are not burned with same head.

geedad
In Device Manager, Un-install the Drive then reboot PC for it to reload drive then test it

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 21:13 14 Mar 11

In device manager is windows seeing the drives as DVD drives or CD drives?

geedad 22:08 14 Mar 11

ams4127
Thank you for your interest.
woodchip
Fruit Bat /\0/\
Will come back to you after checking, and testing.
geedad

geedad 23:20 14 Mar 11

Fruit Bat /\0/\
Both DVD and CD (DVD/CD)
Update....
Just had reply from Cyberlink (PowerProducer and PowerDirector software).
They have requested a screen shot of the error message, and I have done that, but it cannot tell the any more than I have explained, it simply states "This disc type is not supported"!
I have been using these DVD's in my old XP for months with no trouble.
I will keep you all posted..........
Thanks again,
geedad

geedad 21:30 15 Mar 11

Lazarus The 2nd
No, my PowerDirector is ver. 5 and Producer is ver.4. I have used these with good results on my old XP.
=============================================
Update for other members who have offered suggestions:
HP asked me to use the disc Diagnostic application to check if the built-in reader/writer was functioning correctly. It reported OK for CD's and DVD's. I then did the FULL Diagnostic run for any other problems and none was reported.
After that, I used Windows DVD Maker, and it wrote OK to make a playable DVD, albeit non-synchronised!
I can conclude that it is possibly the Cyberlink software that is causing the problem.
The Customer team from Cyberlink have not yet replied, but when they do, I shall come back to let you know the outcome.
Thanks all again, it does take time to test all theories and suggestions, so bear with me!!
geedad

geedad 15:02 16 Mar 11

To all forum members who responded to this posting.

You will not believe this story!
During the previous un-install of PowerDirector, I received a message that Power2Go would be un-installed,
which I had to accept. However, I decided to re-install that (Power2Go), and would you believe it?
The PowerDirector was shown in the Start Menu! I clicked on it, and the program started!
I have now imported 2 videos and authored them to end up with a wonderful family DVD!
Here may be the answers:
When I first bought this machine, I did have a Tape to Video USB device, and the software supplied with it
was Cyberlink PowerProducer/Director but in much earlier versions. I think that the old versions must have
clashed with the newer version supplied by HP. I don’t think that the HP version (8) was ever installed
because of the conflict!
Anyrate, it's all happening now, and I do thank all of you who tried to help solve this problem.
geedad

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac