disk space management (again)

bigdavey 17:17 03 Apr 08

I recently got excellent help here with formatting a partition to free up hdd space. what i would now like to do is to move all my program files and stuff over to the much bigget partition as C: is almost full and E: almost empty........

please can someone let me know how to do this.

thanks

dave

Diemmess 17:34 03 Apr 08

For tunes pics, videos and other data simply drag and drop or Cut and Paste.

Program files wont migrate like this. They are integrated with Windows registry on C:

If you move all the data over to nice new folders on D: you will probably have cleared a large proportion of the possible space.
If you want to move applications you must uninstall them one at a time and re-install them to Drive D: You do have a choice but most times the default C: is OK-d.

Ditch999 17:37 03 Apr 08

IMHO you should leave your programmes on C:\
You could move your documents folder to E:\ by right clicking My Documents > Properties then change the target to read something like E:\My Documents then click Move

bigdavey 14:59 09 Apr 08

I keep getting a message "you are running out of space......C:) i know that c is getting full but i have loads of space in my new partition (E:).

should i just ignore this message?

DieSse 15:23 09 Apr 08

"should i just ignore this message?"

No - definitely not - Windows is prone to corrution when disk space gets too low.

Ditch99s advice is very sound - move your "My Documents" onto the E partitions, in the way he told you.

Then check again how much space you have.

If you have any large data (ie pics, videos, etc) in other folders, you can just drag-and-drop them into your E partition.

Don't try and move any programs - it'll all go wrong - that is significantly more complex and may not even be needed.

bigdavey 15:45 09 Apr 08

thanks, i did move the my documents folder to the E partition, but my c: drive (30gigs)is still virtually full. as far as i know there's just windows xp and office and a few other programs, and yet is is almost full!!

help!

d/l treesize to help see whats using the space.
click here

Hudson 16:06 09 Apr 08

30 GB is extraordinary if it's really just XP & a bit more. You can try searching for temporary files using search terms *.tmp, *.bak, *.old and *.$$$. These can safely be deleted if they're not from the current session. (Really delete them - don't just shift them to the Recycle Bin). But I suspect that to have reached 30GB there must be more in there. You could try a cleanup utility such as cclean.

bigdavey 16:09 09 Apr 08

hi
"documents and settings" is taking up 11 gigs, although it is not "my documents", can i move that! it seems to have important files in there!

(thanks everyone)

Hudson 16:15 09 Apr 08

My own 'documents and settings' is just over 1GB so 11GB seems strange. Don't move the whole thing - 'settings' are, well, settings. Can you break things down a bit? what are the fattest folders in there?

bigdavey 16:24 09 Apr 08

the main culprit is a folder called "dave"
(thats me!)- at almost 7g! the largest folder in "dave" is 6,54gb, called "desktop"
it contains a bunch of desktop icons (my desktop is cluttered with shortcuts)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The updated 'Corel Painter inside Photoshop' plugin ParticleShop offers new brushes

New MacBook Pro 2017 release date, UK price and tech specs: Kaby Lake MacBook Pro to launch in…