Disk Space After Backup

wingfield 22:03 10 May 04

I have a 20Gb disc. I did a Backup which used all my available disk space (6+Gb) I did a disk cleanup which freed up nealy 1Gb but I still am left with very little space - approx 650Mb. How can I free more space?

QuickHare 22:09 10 May 04

Sorry if this seems a little "know it all"-ish, but generally, a backup should not be kept on the same disk that you copied it from. If the disk failed, then you'd lose all the backup, too.

Best to copy all the "essential" stuff (personal files, address books, etc) to a CD or DVD, or think about using one of these Internet backup facilities (Broadband would be better for this). After copying them off the computer itself, test it by copying it back on or testing ZIP files, etc, to make sure the backup works, and then delete the backup off the harddisk.

That is unless I misread the post and have just made myself look a prat........... Very possible.

TommyRed 22:20 10 May 04

I assume from your post, only a 20Gb HDD that yours is an older PC. Has it got a CD rewriter from which you could make your backup and store on CD-R? When I had a 98SE machine it had no disks OS, drivers, nothing as I'd got it for nothing I invested in a CD rewriter, fitted it myself and I'm no expert and also bought Acronis True Image and imaged my HDD. Still use Acronis on my new XP machine, I believe they where doing it free on a coverdisk on a PCA mag not long back. I probably paid £80 for the items a few years back but I bet if you shopped around you'd get them for half that. HTH TR

wingfield 22:22 10 May 04

Can you illuminate me on this? I didn't know it existed. How do I get rid of the backup on the C drive once I transfer it to the Internet?

TommyRed 09:59 11 May 04

Type "Internet Backup" into Google search engine, it returns loads of hits including tutorials. HTH TR

QuickHare 13:47 11 May 04

The basics of Internet Backup include the uploading of your files to a secure server, and this keeps your files safe and secure.

The services out there usually require a program to be downloaded to compress and upload your files, and to do the 'donkey work', such as determining which files need to be uploaded, and which haven't changed since the last time you uploaded. This would save time and bandwidth.

Also, the space you use on these servers are usually rented - in other words, money must change hands. This can be done in a variety of ways, but the most popular method is by monthly/annual billing.

Maybe the powers at be at PC Advisor could do an article soon about Internet Backup?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…