Disk space

baldyx 17:16 05 Jul 10

My external FreeagentDrive has 232 Gbytes space total. It has large backup file(created by windows 7 backup utility ) of 74Gbytes.
So i expect 158 Gbytes free space.
However when I display the space info it says only 4.38 Gbytes free space available!

Please any ideas as to where the space has gone ?

daureluc 19:40 05 Jul 10

HI,

Have you got any download, pictures, video or any other documents on your pc, also check how pany programs are installed and how much space they take (control panel--> add/remove program). If nothing, are you sure of the size of your drive? have you partitioned the drive? if still nothing, try to unplug and plug back to see if there is any change.
Last thing, try and delete the oldest backup files, they are useless if your PC was working fine on the last backup.

let us know how you are doing

daureluc
for more computer help click here

MAT ALAN 19:40 05 Jul 10

click here

run the prog in the link it will tell you exactly what is where..

MAT ALAN 19:42 05 Jul 10

sorry

click here

try this link, it has done this before, don't know why...

baldyx 16:08 06 Jul 10

I unplugged the external hard drive (FreeagentDrive ) from my new pc(Windows 7) and connected to my old pc (Windows xp). On that old pc, windows explorer shows the correct space totals 232 Gbytes (134 Gbytes used + 98 Gbytes free) as I was expecting. Also correct file sizes shown when listed under the explorer for all the files that includes the backup files ( Data file + windowssystem Image ).Same true for the TreeSize utility under Windows xp.

AND , when I reconneted the FreeagentDrive back to my new pc (windows 7) ,the 'property' option of the FreeagentDrive also shows correct file sizing totalling 232 Gbytes(including free space). So something changed on the drive after connecting & re-connection.Same true for the TreeSize utility under Windows 7.

Something has changed during the connect -reconnect process.

Thanks for your help.
I am closing this query but please feel free to discuss further.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac