Disk reading error...

Technoob 02:28 25 Dec 07

Well I starte my computer today, then it came up with the error, disk reading error occurred, pres ctrl alt delete to restart. Now its just a loop, it keeps restarting over and over. Have i lost everything or is there a chance for me to get in there?

Miros 07:49 25 Dec 07

Have a look here maybe reinstall windows system again? If your using windows?

Miros 07:50 25 Dec 07

Sorry the link click here :-(

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 11:52 25 Dec 07

Check the data cable to your HDD is insterted fully at HDD and motherboard end.

you could make an emergency boot floppy from anothe XP PC and see if it will work on yours.

It takes just one floppy disc,

First format a Floppy disc

Run type
Format A: /u

Then open Notepad and copy and Paste this

[boot loader]
timeout=-1
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="First harddisk, first partition" /sos
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS="First harddisk, second partition" /sos
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(3)\WINDOWS="First harddisk, third partition" /sos
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(4)\WINDOWS="First harddisk, fourth partition" /sos
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Second harddisk, first partition" /sos
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(2)\WINDOWS="Second harddisk, second partition" /sos
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(3)\WINDOWS="Second harddisk, third partition" /sos
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(4)\WINDOWS="Second harddisk, fourth partition" /sos
C:\="Previous Operating System on C:\"

Save as

in Notepad as BOOT.INI

Then in search find

NTDETECT.COM
NTLDR

Add these to the floppy disc

Technoob 23:58 25 Dec 07

Miros

I tried installing xp again, and tried to see if i can repair it, well it was seting up the files, this came up and i had to restart

[IMG]click here[/IMG]

well now it just keeps throwing this message at me. My ipod was connected at that point so i took it off and tried again and it came up with this message

[IMG]click here[/IMG]

Miros 00:49 26 Dec 07

Must admit that I did my repair to an old PC with windows 98 on it, not XP, and had got that frustrated that I had was at the stage where I was prepared to do a full reinstall, though not wanting to go that far.

As I recall in the reinstall options you could do a full or part install, I chose the latter which tells you wild cards are accepted and it gave an example like so (C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM*)

I typed this in without the brackets like so : C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM* I wasn't sure how much it was going to reinstall I must admit. At this stage I had nothing to loose, but I was very pleased to find at the end not only that the PC worked OK but that it had only reinstalled windows. Everything else like anti- virus, Internet connections etc had been left OK.

I can offer no more advise than this I'M sorry.

Technoob 01:55 26 Dec 07

where do u put that? i dont even know where to that command since i told u, all its doing is trying it install and run into that error, the one i posted pics of.

I mean even if i wanted to do a complete re install, at this point im not able to

Miros 02:45 26 Dec 07

Have a look here click here
You will need your XP CD

Miros 09:46 26 Dec 07

Did you try making a start up disk as given by Fruit Bat above? IF you don't have a floppy drive on your machine you could get support from MS
click here and make a CD startup disk I think.

PS. Fruit Bat I couldn't make a startup disk using your method (couldn't find those files)
but made one by.
Placing diskette in the computer.
Opened My Computer, right clicked the A: drive and clicked Format.In the Format window, check Create an MS-DOS startup disk.
Click Start.

Have no idea if the result will be OK? you may know better Fruit Bat?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Here's what should be coming to Adobe Project Felix in 2017

Apple AirPods review: Apple's beautiful new Bluetooth headphones bring true intelligence to…