Disk Read error on XP Home

Compassion 19:05 10 Jul 04

I have an Evesham PC with a Fujitsu hard drive (NTFS), and am using WinXP Home. This morning, my computer was running fine. I switched it off, then went to switch it on again later and got the "non system disk" error with no disk in CDROM or floppy drives. I reset and started it again. This time I got "Disk read error. Please press Ctrl+Alt+Del" error. I did so, and the same thing happened.

I've checked the boot sequence and tried the recovery CD. I got into recovery, saw the C:/> prompt, but when I tried chkdsk or fixboot, it said they weren't valid. It didn't recgnise any commands.

At the beginning, it did register my hard drive, but now it's telling me it can't find any hard drive. I haven't recently installed anything or changed any settings and am despairing of fixing this without getting a new HDD.

Any ideas?

SANTOS7 19:24 10 Jul 04

click here
click here befor you think about buying a new HDD look here

Compassion 00:39 14 Jul 04

Thanks for the links. Unfortunately my HD was so messed up it needs to be replaced.

PS. If you can't get to your drive via Windows, it's worthwhile checking out Knoppix (click here), a Live Cd distro of Linux, to try to access your stuff that way.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…