A disk read error occurred/NTLDR is missing

PaddyEire 23:55 28 Aug 14
Answered

I've been receiving the above two errors on my PC. It's pretty old by this stage and I haven't used it in a few years as I've been traveling however I started getting the error's shortly before I left home about 3yrs ago.

Now, when I start it up one of four things will happen;

I will receive "A disk read error occurred" and have to restart

Or

I will receive "NTLDR is missing" and have to restart

Or

It will start up fine but it will not pick up my second HDD.

Or

It will start up fine but it will lose the second HDD after running for a while.

The HDD in question is quite old and almot full to capacity. It's a bit loose in the chassis as there is a screw missing from one side but I dont get any indication that it's moving.

I can normally fix the issue by unplugging and re-inserting the IDE cable however that doesn't avoid the HDD knocking off once running.

Just wanted to know before I take into it if the HDD is done for or if this is something I can fix?

System Summary is below (Minus the absent drive which should be drive E:)

System Name: PADDY-PC [System Summary]

Item Value
OS Name Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate
Version 6.1.7601 Service Pack 1 Build 7601
Other OS Description Not Available
OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation
System Name PADDY-PC
System Manufacturer System manufacturer System Model System Product Name System Type x64-based PC
Processor AMD Athlon(tm) 7750 Dual-Core Processor, 2700 Mhz, 2 Core(s), 2 Logical Processor(s)
BIOS Version/Date American Megatrends Inc. 1109, 09/12/2009
SMBIOS Version 2.5 Windows Directory D:\Windows
System Directory D:\Windows\system32 Boot Device \Device\HarddiskVolume1 Locale Ireland Hardware Abstraction Layer Version = "6.1.7601.17514"
User Name Paddy-PC\Paddy
Time Zone GMT Daylight Time
Installed Physical Memory (RAM) 4.00 GB Total Physical Memory 4.00 GB Available Physical Memory 2.69 GB Total Virtual Memory 4.00 GB Available Virtual Memory 2.58 GB Page File Space 0 bytes

Thanks

Jollyjohn 11:05 29 Aug 14

Open it up, unplug and reconnect all cables. Boot from cd and "Repair my computer"

If that doesn't solve the issues it would suggest a HDD has failed.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 11:28 29 Aug 14
Answer

but before changing HDD (its getting hard to buy a IDE HDD nowadays) it might be worth renewing the IDE cable

or if the drives are set to CS cable select try changing to master and slave on the jumpers.

Master (drive with op system) at the end connection of a single IDE cable slave in middle connection.

PaddyEire 16:12 29 Aug 14

Thanks for the respponse's guys, I'll try changing the cables to start with, should have a few IDE's lying around somewhere. From what I recall I already have the cables set up as master and slave but I'll need to double check, it's been that long since I've been inside a PC I can't remember what I've done in there.

PaddyEire 02:47 31 Aug 14

Changed the cables and everything seems to be fine (they were SATA cables, don't know why I thought they were IDE but anyways). Few cosmetic issues on the desktop such as the background not showing and some shortcuts showing as broken when not but all in all it appears to be good so giving this a resolved....Thanks all :)

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 10:48 31 Aug 14

I prefer the clip type SATA cables seem to give less trouble.

Thanks for the feed back, glad its sorted.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac