A disk read error occurred

southpaw 18:30 15 Aug 12

Hi

I was having issues with my Hdd so have purchased a new Hdd and put it into my laptop.

I have put the Hdd in and have my toshiba product recovery cd for windows vista. On switch on with (and without cd) all I seem to be getting is the message A disk read error occurred press ctrl +alt+del to restart.

What should I be doing to get the cd to load?

Thanks in advance.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 19:18 15 Aug 12

HAve you set the BIOS to boot from the CD dive as first boot device.

Also make sure the new drive is connected properly and it can be seen in the BIOS

southpaw 20:15 15 Aug 12

Hi fruit bat, yep that was it I hadn't done that.

Although now it gets so far as product recovery all finalised restarts and then says Windows Setup could not configure Windows to run on this computers hardware.

Any ideas?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 20:31 15 Aug 12

Intel CPUs and ICH 7,8,9 and 10.?

southpaw 20:46 15 Aug 12

This is laptop with 1gb

http://www.play.com/PC/PCs/4-/3436032/0/Toshiba-Satellite-Pro-L40-12T-T2130-1-86GHz-512MB-60GB-15-4-inch-DVD-SM-Vista-Home-Basic-Laptop-Notebook/ListingDetails.html?$ja=tsid%3a11518%7ccat%3a3436032%7cprd%3a3436032%2ctsid%3a11853%7cprd%3a47868&source=9593&awc=14181345059857_9ebf8f45813cc6d627dd5303488b7f6e

And this is Hdd

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Western-Digital-Scorpio-250gb-Internal/dp/B001IKRKO0

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 18:01 16 Aug 12

toshiba product recovery cd for windows vista.

Recovery CD may only work with an harddrive that already has the windows files on it like most OEM's do in a hidden partition.

It does not have the full operating system on it and it does not work unless the HDD has a recovery partition on it. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Recovery_disc

Did you make a recovery CD set when you got the machine?

Possibly If your old hard drive is working well enough to run a recovery, do so. Then clone this to your new drive and all should be ok.

southpaw 13:30 17 Aug 12

Hi

No I didn't make a recovery cd when I got the laptop.

Is it possible to clone just windows. Basically I want to give the laptop to a family friend once I have replaced the hdd and its working fine.

BUT I don't want any private information to be on the new hdd. I understand I could wipe these but once the laptop leaves my hands where it goes in the future who knows and I'm concerned about financial info possibly still being accessible.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 15:07 17 Aug 12

What are the issues with the old drive?

If possible you may be able to copy / clone the recovery partition from the old drive onto the new one and use the recovery CD to restore the machine with the new hard drive to factory conditions.

southpaw 15:59 17 Aug 12

Old drive is very unstable, crashes open, memory dumps often, beeps now and again. I'm looking to replace laptop anyway but rather than dump this one thought I'd fix a new hdd in it and give it to family friend.

Where would I find the recovery partition??. I have an external caddy so would be able to copy across.

Would it just be a case of dragging and dropping the recovery partition?

Oh and thanks for your help so far!

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 16:29 17 Aug 12

It is often a hidden partition here is how to unhide it

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

New Corel ParticleShop plugin now available: 11 new brushes & 6 new brush packs

Apple AirPods review: Apple's beautiful new Bluetooth headphones bring true intelligence to…