//some 3rd party need geo

Disk Read error on boot up (win2kpro)

richierich 11:08 15 Nov 03

On booting up I get a disk read error message before it gets to windows. I switch off, on again and usually it boots up ok.
Have done disk checks, virus checks but still happens. any ideas please.

MichelleC 11:38 15 Nov 03

If you've done sfc you can do a os repair which means you'll have to reinstall updates, but data etc is kept:

Boot from os disc, select install, then select install again, then chose your os, then chose repair.

richierich 11:42 15 Nov 03

will I have to reinstall drivers and programmes if i do a repair?

MichelleC 12:57 15 Nov 03

Not progs, but a few drivers maybe. I use Driver backup which copies all drivers click here

richierich 14:15 15 Nov 03

thanks MichelleC, ill give it a go.

DieSse 16:25 15 Nov 03

A disk read error indicates a hardware problem more than a software one. After all, if you think about it - how can a piece of software not work correctly at one switch-on - yet work OK on next switch-on

It's possible your hard drive is a bit slow at getting up to speed after a cold boot. You could try changing the "Quick Boot Option" to Disabled in the BIOS. This runs a longer memory test and gives the hard drive a few more seconds to "get going".

richierich 22:03 15 Nov 03

DieSse- interesting point as problem only occured after I added another drive as slave, I thought this was the problem so I replaced the newer drive with another but problem continued so I assumed it would be unlikely to have two drives causing the same intermittent problem.
Would it be way off base to suspect the power supply as it was taken from an older case, I cant tell what wattage it is but naybe its not powerful enough, Im clutching at straws but well.

DieSse 10:42 16 Nov 03

No, it wouldn't be abad idea to suspect the power supply - one that was marginal could well struugle at power up - when it has to supply extra power to get drives moving, etc.

But please try the startup delay thingy I mentioned, too.

Wizzy 11:23 16 Nov 03

This sounds a bit like a bug in Windows 2000. Windows Update has a patch to do with booting up and NTFS hard disks. Download that and see if it makes a differance.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Google Allo? What is Google Duo? Google Allo UK release date rumours and features: Google…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These clever designs help visualise a complex intelligence tool

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…