Disk read error

Billy911 09:42 28 Jul 06

My laptop starts up then displays the message:

A disk read error occurred
Press Ctrl+Alt+Del to restart

It was fine yesterday. I'm not quite sure what to do as I don't want to format the HDD as I have very important documents on it. Is there anything I can do?

terryf 09:44 28 Jul 06

go to Start>run and type in chkdsk /f

Billy911 09:55 28 Jul 06

Thanks terryf for replying but I can't get to Start>run. The disk read error message appears just as the laptop is starting up and won't go any further.

FelixTCat 10:03 28 Jul 06

Billy,

I had something similar to this when I was halfway through a trip abroad - scared the pants off me. I found that the hard drive connector had come loose.

The hard drive is usually under a panel accessed from underneath the laptop. The panel may be retained by screws or a sliding clip. Remove the panel and GENTLY push the connector back onto the drive.

Regards,

Felix

Billy911 10:40 28 Jul 06

Hi Felix,

I looked at the back of the laptop and found 4 covers. I opened each one - DVD drive, memory, battery, modem. They were all clearly labelled so there's no mistake. The HDD must be inside the case. I daren't open that. Thanks anyway. The thing is now when I start up the laptop it makes anwful clicking/banging sound before the error message appears. You don't think the HDD is on its way out do you?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 10:44 28 Jul 06

when I start up the laptop it makes anwful clicking/banging sound before the error message appears. You don't think the HDD is on its way out do you?

Unfortunately the answer is yes. Banging noises are bab news from HDDs.

What make / model of laptop? service manual will tell how to change drive.

FelixTCat 10:46 28 Jul 06

Hi Billy,

Yes, that sounds bad. How old is your laptop? What make and model?

Check your laptop's manual for how to get to the hard drive - it should be reasonably accessible.

Regards,

Felix

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 10:57 28 Jul 06

notebook drive removal guides click here

Billy911 11:14 28 Jul 06

Thanks again Felix and Fruit Bat /\0/\. It says on the lid "Cybermaxx". I bought it off a friend when he upgraded about a year ago and he only had it about a year before that.

I put a diagnostics CD in and booted from that OK and went into Partition Magic and it seemed to access the HDD OK. Then I clicked "check for errors". A message appeared:

Error 993 Partition contains open files. Use the operating system check utility

I was thinking maybe the MBR has been deleted/overwritten.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 11:32 28 Jul 06

can you use c:\fixmbr from your iagnostic cd?

FelixTCat 11:37 28 Jul 06

Or chkdsk /fixmbr

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…