disk read error

tarkus 22:37 30 Mar 04

friend has just purchased new pc window xp pro ntfs file system on disk wanted to transfer all his files from his old pc to new one. took hard drive out of old pc and put it as slave on the same ide channel as new hard drive. this old hard drive had win 98 on it now when he tries to boot all he gets is disk read error and can't go any further. if he disconects the old drive windows wont boot gives the same error message disk read error. any one have any ideas please

Diodorus Siculus 22:42 30 Mar 04

Check that it is set as slave when on the new machine. Does it work on the old one still?

tarkus 23:03 30 Mar 04

yes hard drive is set as slave, hes not trying to boot from the old hard drive he just wants to copy his files and folders across to the new drive/computer, since putting the old drive into the new computer he can't boot. all he gets is disk read error and the same message if he disconnects the drive seems that the old drive with win 98 on it has some how corrupted the new drive

gudgulf 23:17 30 Mar 04

Maybe when he put the old hard drive in he dislodged the ide connector to the motherboard or new drive.Or has the connector to the old drive been put in the wrong way round?-- this shouldn't really be possible, but just a thought.

tarkus 23:23 30 Mar 04

no all cables connected correctly, he can't try the old pc out as the motherboard developed a fault thats why he brought a new pc

gudgulf 23:46 30 Mar 04

Have you tried booting to the advanced startup menu--press f8 as the pc boots then selecting last known good configuration (with just the xp hd connected). This might get you back into windows on the new pc.

I've used the method of recovering old files a number of times wihout problem when sorting out dead pc's for friends.Are you sure the old hard drive is functional?

gudgulf 23:47 30 Mar 04

That should read this method!!!!

tarkus 23:51 30 Mar 04

tried f8 no luck still same problem, can't boot it into safe mode at all. all i can get it to is a command prompt and thats all

gudgulf 23:58 30 Mar 04

Try having a look in the bios to make sure that the hard drive is recognised and that it is set as a boot device.

TGat 00:07 31 Mar 04

Tarkus.
I think there is problem with compatibility between Win98 and XP. Maybe you should reformat your new hard drive and change filing system into FAT? Did you try that?

gudgulf 00:19 31 Mar 04

Xp has no problem reading fat files--Ive just rebuilt a pc running 98 and used my xp pro(ntfs) pc to back up all the files from the old pc in exactly the way that tarkus has described.

Although something has screwed up his new hard drive---so you may well be right in thinking in terms of reformatting.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…