Disk Overlay

Iceman56 22:14 09 Jul 03

I have installed an old hard disk (40GB) as a second drive in my new computer, running windows XP. The old disk had disk overlay installed because of the old operating system and bios.

How do I remove this as it now seems to be causing problems with the GoBack that I have installed on the main drive.

I had reformatted the drive before I installed it, but this has not removed the overlay.

woodchip 22:16 09 Jul 03

You need to use the software that's created it. It will probably show when you boot. Look for something like MaxBlaster or Seagate tools

DieSse 22:46 09 Jul 03

You can either use the software that created it - or if you are not sure, use the "zero-fill" program from the drive manufacturer (it's part of Maxblast and Seatools) - this returns the drive to a "virgin" state.

Ironman556 23:14 09 Jul 03

Move everything you want from the 40GB to your main hdd and then reformat it. If you need a bootdisk for XP click here. The standard format should clear it.

I think you might also be able to clear it by rewriting the MBR (mine's written into the MBR), but I'm not sure how to do that from a boot disk.

woodchip 23:23 09 Jul 03

You cannot remove with a format or fdisk. It can make the disc unusable

Ironman556 21:15 10 Jul 03

Ignore my post then!

I reformatted my primary hdd and lost the Drive Overlay for the secondary. Primary still worked fine. I had to rewrite the MBR on the primary using a special program to get the use of my second drive back.

I had no bad effects from doing it that way, but maybe I was lucky?

Ironman556 21:19 10 Jul 03

(that wasn't meant in a sarcastic way... just making sure it's not misinterpreted)

woodchip 23:16 10 Jul 03

No offence taken woodchip

y_not 06:11 11 Jul 03

The above postings are as clear as mud to me (Don't understand what you're all talking about) but seeing the people that wrote them I'm sure its good advice.

Just one thing to warn you about; once I wrote a 10Gb disc to zeros (zero-Fill) and the time it took I could have got drunk and recovered from a hangover!

Its very thorough but very slow - overnight is a good time, I think.

Iceman56 08:50 12 Jul 03

Sorry I have not responded to any of the postings, I have been away all week on Business.

I have just down loaded the Seagate tools but can't find anything that states removal of the DDO.

I think the zero fill might be the best and safest option.

Thanks for the advice and will report back if successful.

Iceman

Ironman556 09:27 12 Jul 03

Make a boot disk from seagate tools or downoad the starter edition. Boot using it and there should be an option to remove it in one of the menu's.

If you're unsure, email Seagate Tech Support. I had a problem getting the DDO back on, they responded quickly and solved my problem immidiately.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

iPhone 7 review: a range of small updates add up to an excellent phone

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How New York’s Stylin’ Seniors became a golden social media campaign

23 Apple Watch tips & secret features: Master your Apple Watch, Apple Watch Series 1 or Apple…