Disk is not formatted error

m800afc 00:38 30 Nov 08

Win XP Pro; SP3
Following on from my thread:
"Acronis TI backup: Disk is not formatted error"
I decided to reformat the drive and make new backups.
The original error message read "Disk not formatted, Would you like to format now?" This time I clicked yes, and a format local disc dialogue box opened. It states that the capacity is 298Gb. The drive is, in fact, 1Tb, and is/was formatted to NTFS. When starting to format, an error message appears saying the disk in Drive K cannot be formatted.
Examining the properties of drive K, it appears that the file system is now "RAW" and shows used space as 0 and free space as 0. The capacity is also shown as 0
O&O disk recovery is able to read the data on the disk. It recognises the disk as a 1Tb (Nominal) drive, with "RAW" as 298Gb, and the balance as "Unallocated" I suspect the MFT is corrupt, but do not know how to repair the MFT. Chkdsk does not appear to run. I have tried chkdsk K: /f/r and the DOS window opens and closes immediately. I have also tried to run chkdsk from the drive/properties/tools dialog, to no avail.
Is there a way of rebuilding the MFT, and getting the drive up and running just enough to reformat, if you see what I mean?

DieSse 00:43 30 Nov 08

If you run a program such as Killdisk, it should return the drive to "as from the factory" state- ie there will be nothing on it at all.

Then you should be able to partition it and format it with the regular XP Disk Management facility.

Killdisk click here

m800afc 15:13 02 Dec 08

DieSse
Thank you very much for your suggestion. I used KillDisk, to erase the complete 1Tb drive. It took ages as you can imagine. After reformatting, I backed up my data using Paragon Drive Backup, it took 18 hours. Sadly you cannot examine files inside the archive, and a verification will take another 18 hours. I have just started an Acronis TI10 backup, to see which is quicker.
I will tick as resolved

Technotiger 15:17 02 Dec 08

Hi, it would be interesting to know the outcome after running Acronis, by comparison to Paragon.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sniper Elite 4 review: Headshotting Nazis has never felt so good

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Best Design, Illustration, Animation and VFX Awards of 2017

WWDC 2017 dates: How to get WWDC 2017 tickets, when is WWDC 2017 and more details announced