"Disk I/O error, replace disk and press any key...

Pier1 11:14 26 Feb 03

Aaaaarrgh!

Is my hard drive broken???
Replaced it a couple of weeks ago, been working fine. Now it give that message on startup. PC works fine if I connect the old hard drive instead tho.

Thing is, the new one's been running far better than the old one and there's a lot saved on it that I don't want to lose.

Help!!

kentylad 11:26 26 Feb 03

Had exactly the same problem! Still, my search for an explanation is in vein

powerless 11:32 26 Feb 03

Make sure the connections on the cables to the HDD and mobo are firmly pushed in.

Pier1 13:56 26 Feb 03

When I turn on the PC, I get the usual Hewlett Packard screen, then black, then a few horrible clicks from the hard drive and then the message: "Disk I/O error, replace and press any key."

The last time I used the PC before I got this message, I had to turn off the PC using the power switch because it had frozen. It might be something to do with that...

powerless 14:05 26 Feb 03

click here

Scroll down the solutions fixed it ;-)

Pier1 14:11 26 Feb 03

Thanks, I'll try it when I get home. Although I'm very worried about the couple of loud clicks when it tries to read the hard disk.

Anyone else got any ideas in the mean time?

Pier1 14:15 26 Feb 03

If the hard drive has died, is there any way of recovering the data from it?

Pier1 22:49 26 Feb 03

Everyone, watch out for a worm called surnova, aka supernova. Be alarmed if you see "bigmac" in your ctrl+alt+del task list (or anything to do with burgers) and go to click here for info on what to do

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…