Disk hardware configuration problem!

martyncymro 14:45 13 Aug 03

My computer has 2 hard drives - C & D. I reinstalled Windows XP & accidently put it on D drive - so I had 2 operating systems on the computer. I tried to re-install XP on the C drive and a message came asking if I wanted to delete the XP installation on the D drive ... so I did it. However, I've now lost the D drive and can't access it anywhere. Can anyone help me to get my D drive back please?? If so, simple steps please - no computer wizard here! :(

jimv7 15:15 13 Aug 03

Boot from the xp disk it will give you the options of formatting your drives.

You propably cannot see the 'd' drive as its in ntfs format and will not be visible with a standard boot floppy.

martyncymro 16:24 13 Aug 03

Thanks ... but you're conversing with a computer moron here. How do I boot from xp disc???

jimv7 17:18 13 Aug 03

Put the xp cd into the cd drive, check in the bios that it is set to boot from cd, by pressing the del key as it starts if not the del key your manual should tell you which key to press.

Then the puter will boot from the cd, and follow the on-screen options.

martyncymro 18:21 13 Aug 03

Well I got as far as BIOS- however I was then faced with 2 columns ... Standard CMOS Features, Frequency/Vomume Control etc etc. Which one of those am I supposed to go to please? Remember I'm just a computer user and will have to be guided with baby steps!

woodchip 18:41 13 Aug 03

You need to read the help at bottom right on how to navigate in bios it will probably be on the second page from the top press enter to open a page arrow keys to up and down, page-up page-down to change thing's you need to look for the boot order like floppy cd hard drive make cd as the first to boot from then start with XP disc, when you get into windows after loading you should see the D:\ drive you just right click the drive to choose format.

martyncymro 00:54 14 Aug 03

Thanks - but I couldn't follow any of the instructiosn given. I explored the computer & resolved the problem by going to 'My computer' - 'Computer Management' - 'Disk Management' and did it there. Thanks for your attempts anyway.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

New Google phones UK release date | Pixel XL price, new features, specifications: Pixel X and…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This is the future of TV, VR and holograms

iPhone 7 review: Enhanced cameras, a refreshed design and water resistance make the iPhone 7 an…