Disk full problem

heepster 10:03 03 May 08

I have a friends dell laptop running xp sp2. The c drive is full to maximum, and it wont let me delete the clutter. Says there is insufficient disk space to delete files. Please is there a way round this? I have an external hard drive i was going to move stuff to, but there isnt the disk space on c to install the software for the external hard drive.
Help...

bjh 10:12 03 May 08

Starting the computer in safe mode may help. Repeatedly press F8 on startup.

If the disk is ABSOLUTELY full, I can see how there might be a problem in moving things to the recycle bin. You can force instant delete by holding down shift then pressing delete. Do a few files at a time.

Right clicking on the disk in My Computer allows Disk Cleanup to run. Once you have a bit of space, this may help. Then download the wonderful "Crap Cleaner" will help.

wee eddie 11:43 03 May 08

The purchase of an External Hard Drive.

Then Transfer a few of the larger files to it

wee eddie 11:43 03 May 08

didn't see your last sentence

wee eddie 15:21 03 May 08

First: Right Click IE > Internet Properties > Left Click > Browsing History > Delete > Definitely remove Temporary Internet Files and Cookies and probably the lot > Be prepared for a long wait (at least one cup of coffee, maybe longer, the process is slow).

Then try moving one file at a time to the External HDD or deleting smaller unnecessary ones.

There are a lot of Windows Update Uninstaller Files that you can delete as they are not required and take many MBs. I do this myself but have insufficient breadth of knowledge to advise another on the best way to go about it.

Once you have some space ~ The previously mentioned CCleaner is ace click here

brundle 15:34 03 May 08

Put the portable version of CCleaner on a flash drive and run it from there; click here

heepster 18:24 03 May 08

Many thanks for all the help.bjh you are a star!I should have known this, strange how some things just go way over your head at times...

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…