Disk full problem

heepster 10:03 03 May 08

I have a friends dell laptop running xp sp2. The c drive is full to maximum, and it wont let me delete the clutter. Says there is insufficient disk space to delete files. Please is there a way round this? I have an external hard drive i was going to move stuff to, but there isnt the disk space on c to install the software for the external hard drive.
Help...

bjh 10:12 03 May 08

Starting the computer in safe mode may help. Repeatedly press F8 on startup.

If the disk is ABSOLUTELY full, I can see how there might be a problem in moving things to the recycle bin. You can force instant delete by holding down shift then pressing delete. Do a few files at a time.

Right clicking on the disk in My Computer allows Disk Cleanup to run. Once you have a bit of space, this may help. Then download the wonderful "Crap Cleaner" will help.

wee eddie 11:43 03 May 08

The purchase of an External Hard Drive.

Then Transfer a few of the larger files to it

wee eddie 11:43 03 May 08

didn't see your last sentence

wee eddie 15:21 03 May 08

First: Right Click IE > Internet Properties > Left Click > Browsing History > Delete > Definitely remove Temporary Internet Files and Cookies and probably the lot > Be prepared for a long wait (at least one cup of coffee, maybe longer, the process is slow).

Then try moving one file at a time to the External HDD or deleting smaller unnecessary ones.

There are a lot of Windows Update Uninstaller Files that you can delete as they are not required and take many MBs. I do this myself but have insufficient breadth of knowledge to advise another on the best way to go about it.

Once you have some space ~ The previously mentioned CCleaner is ace click here

brundle 15:34 03 May 08

Put the portable version of CCleaner on a flash drive and run it from there; click here

heepster 18:24 03 May 08

Many thanks for all the help.bjh you are a star!I should have known this, strange how some things just go way over your head at times...

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation technologies coming to Siggraph 2017

iPad Pro 12.9 vs Surface Pro 5