Disk errors

Scubaman 12:07 26 Nov 10

I have recently had problems with Disk Boot Failure and Disk Read Error. I have changed the HDD and did a copydisk using seagate software. The problem was still there so I did a low level format and did a clean install of everything. All worked fine for a while but if I leave the computer off for more than a day I get Disk Boot Failure, I have tried changing the CMOS battery but this hasn't solved the problem. I restart and get A Disk Read Error Occurred, I press the restart as I have a cordless keyboard and everything starts up okay. It starts fine if I boot every day. Is there something else that needs replacing or is my Mobo or CPU just getting tired? I built the computer in April 2005.

johndrew 14:07 26 Nov 10

I don't know if this click here may apply, but it is a possible cause.

Another cause could be a Windows file is broken. Try running 'sfc /scannow' from the 'Run' command box - make sure you have your Windows CD handy as it may be requested.

Scubaman 09:48 27 Nov 10

I have downloaded and run the software for the Seagate Tools for Windows. I ran all the tests and everything passed okay.
I tried to run the scf/scannow but got the message, "Windows cannot find sfc/scannow."

johndrew 11:22 27 Nov 10

If you typed in "sfc/scannow" it will fail as there should be a space as I typed it "sfc /scannow". Try again.

Scubaman 12:04 27 Nov 10

Oops, okay it ran whn I typed it correctly. It asked for the XP CD and made reference to some DLL files. I shall see what happens the next time I leave it for more than a day. I will flag it as resolved for now. Thanks johndrew.

Scubaman 19:38 15 Dec 10

Just a quick one to let those who tried to help me in the past regarding the Disk read error and Boot disk failure on POST. It turned out that all along it was my monitor. I only found out when one morning it would not boot at all then while watching the restart the screen flashed on with the desktop, if I turned the monitor off and then on it worked for a second then went off. After connecting a new monitor all is 100%, even after a 3 day shutdown. So once again thanks and a Merry Xmas to you all.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…