Disk Error

Scubaman 11:02 05 Oct 10

This morning I have received messages at POST saying 'Disk Error', Press any key and then immediately after pressing any key I get 'A Disk Read Error Occurred', Press Ctrl Alt Del. After I do everything starts ok. This also happened a few weeks ago and I tried everything suggested in the Forums and even replaced the ribbon and HDD with a clean install, all worked fine until this morning, same old messages. Any other suggestions lads?

mooly 12:14 05 Oct 10

Could be a HDD issue.
You didn't say what operating system and PC etc but this is for XP and Vista and probably W7 the same.

Try running "check disk" from within windows... read down this page... and make sure both boxes are ticked to check for errors and to attempt to fix errors.

click here

onthelimit 12:26 05 Oct 10

...but Scbaman says it's been replaced? Same fault on two drives seems unlikely.

Terry Brown 14:45 05 Oct 10

You could have a fault with your hard drive.
Try this free program (untested by me), to see if it throws up any faults.
Terry
click here

lotvic 14:57 05 Oct 10

Check in your BIOS that the HDD is being correctly recognised, and check the boot order.

You should be able to download a more thorough checkdisk program from the HDD manufacturers website.

Scubaman 11:27 08 Oct 10

Contacted Seagate and ran the diskcheck software, took absolutely ages. All was ok. Seagate advised unplugging computer and removing the CMOS battery for 20 mins as the faults were stored from previous drive. Anyway it has worked ok so far.
Thanks everyone

mooly 13:08 08 Oct 10

Thanks for updating the thread... interesting to know.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sony Xperia XZ Premium review: Hands-on with the new 4K HDR phone with Motion Eye camera and Snapdr5…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best laptop for design and art 2017: we test Apple, Dell, HP, Lenovo and Microsoft's best models…

CarPlay tips & troubleshooting guide: CarPlay tips & troubleshooting guide: Get the most from…