Disk drive does not work or read any disk

BrightEyes13 18:05 22 Aug 09

I've had this problem for a few weeks, my disk drive will not read anything anymore -CD's, DVD's or cd roms (it is definately a DVD rom drive). When I go into my computer, the disk drive is no longer there either

I'm using windows xp home, I've tried looking up advice for similar problems I can find on the internet, but these haven't worked. -I have tried restoring the cd/dvd drives to explorer; and also going through Start > run > REGEDIT and selecting the following folders:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE
SYSTEM
CurrentControlSet
Control
Class
{4D36E965-E325 -11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}, however I don't have any of the "Upperfilters" or "Lowerfilters" to select and delete

I can't remember specifically doing anything to adjust any settings, the only thing I can think of is automatic updates?

I'm hoping it's something fixable for the disk drive rather than installing a new one (although I know the basics etc of a computer, I'm not an advanced user). I'd be grateful if anyone has any advice for me, let me know if you need any further information

Many thanks

Sea Urchin 18:30 22 Aug 09

Try going to Control Panel - System - Hardware tab - click Device Manager - find DVD/CD Rom Drives and expand on the + sign. Right click on your drive and select Update Driver. Click "No, not this time" and Next.

Reboot when done.

BrightEyes13 18:51 22 Aug 09

When I do the above the CD/dvd rom drives do not appear to be there - my backup drive and floopy drive are there but no disk drive at all?

rdave13 19:03 22 Aug 09

Try this Doug knox fix first; click here

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 19:28 22 Aug 09

Open the case and check the data and power cables are secure at both drive and motherboard ends

BrightEyes13 16:47 23 Aug 09

Ok I now feel very foolish as I didn't think myself to check the cables and connections inside the case, but all is working now so thank you!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

LG G6 review: Hands-on with LG’s bold, big-screen shot at perfection

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the 2017 Oscar-winning VFX of The Jungle Book were created

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…