Disk Defragmenting

EFC1878 22:52 18 Feb 05

I ran disk defrag this morning whihc worked well on the C drive (my main drive)

However I got the usual message I receive when analyzing the D drive whihc basically said that it only had 11% free space avaialble for use and defrag needs at least 15% , I should deleted unnecessary files.

Without wishing to appear stupid I know very little about the D drive and therefore would not know what is on there and what I could deleted. Any help/suggestions?

Also if it is down to only 11% is this going to worsen and if so what does this mean?

Apologies for a long winded posting

Diodorus Siculus 23:00 18 Feb 05

What is on D drive? Open my computer, right click on D and choose properties. It may be a recovery partition and so no need to defrag.

THE TERMINATOR 23:01 18 Feb 05

Defragment program needs 15% free disk space to defragment your drive. If you have less than that then windows can't run the program. What you need to do is uninstall some of your software on the D drive and install it on your C drive, until you have 15% free space. If you cannot do this(eg cos the stuff on your D drive are mp3's)then move them to the C drive to free up space, or if you have a burner you can burn them to cd, and then delete them off your drive....TT

VoG II 23:03 18 Feb 05

No apology needed. It means that D: is nearly full and that it needs more space on D: to defragment that drive (defragment uses space on that drive as a temporary store).

You either need to do some pruning of what is on D: or you could try Diskeeper Lite click here

THE TERMINATOR 23:04 18 Feb 05

If you have XP you could compress some folders to free up more space. I forgot to ask are drive C+D two seperate drives in your system?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…