Disk Defragmenter - explanation

redmonkey 18:51 05 May 05

Sorry if this is a really dumb question, but could somebody please explain what Disk Defragmenter actually does

I assume it scans my hard drive and removes all the [email protected] that's in there, similar to a registry cleaner, but would be nice if someone could confirm

And are there any cons/dangers of doing it?

Thanks

VoG II 18:56 05 May 05
  mattyc_92 18:57 05 May 05

You have got it all wrong :-(

When you use your system, files are "spanned" around the drive, which makes it harder for the system to "locate" them, defragmenting your system, puts these files together, thus speeding the system up...

There aren't really any cons (unless you use Norton/Roxio Goback), but there is only one good point for it, it speeds your system up (and, i don't know if this is true, keeps your system more "relyable" (SPELLING!!!))

Technotiger 19:02 05 May 05

Hi, Defrag is not like a registry cleaner at all - defrag does not remove anything at all - the job of defrag to to *tidy up* your hard drive.
When you install and uninstall anything at all to your hard drive the data on the drive becomes defragmented, or in other words scattered all over your drive. When you want to run a program that is scattered, the drive needs to seek out all the relevant parts in order to run the program. This of course takes longer to do because of the fragmentation. Defrag puts all the separated bits of program back together nice and neat, so easy to find and quicker to run. The more you uninstall stuff, the more defragmented a hard drive gets. I would recommend a defrag at least fortnightly.

Cheers.

redmonkey 19:04 05 May 05

Thanks both - glad I asked, given how wrong I was!

mattyc - you mentioned Norton. I'm running Internet Security / AV 2004 - that make a difference?

Technotiger 19:05 05 May 05

ps - there is no such thing as a dumb question on this Forum.

Cheers.

mattyc_92 19:06 05 May 05

No, just Goback, as it "resets" it's log of your system...

It is still safe to use with GoBack installed, just that you will lose ALL the logs to revert to (it is a more powerful version of Windows System Restore)...

So, no.... it wont effect your system... lol

mattyc_92 19:08 05 May 05

and I agree with Technotiger... There is no such thing as a dumb question.... ;-)

redmonkey 19:08 05 May 05

Brilliant - thanks all!! :-)

Wak 20:45 05 May 05

Just out of interest, which system are you running?? 98SE?? XP??

dontnoafing 20:57 05 May 05

there was micking taking the other week....questions are asked by the likes of me because i we don,t understand a particular pc function or whatever.we are in debt to those of you who point us in the right direction and explain things.thanks.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro 5 News - release date, UK price, features, specs

Gear VR vs. Daydream: Which delivers the best VR experience?

iPad Pro 12.9 vs Surface Pro 5