disk defragging & hard disc locking up

rasalom 23:01 31 Jan 03

I have win xp pro installed & I have 2 hard drives installed. the c drive is not partitioned but the 2nd drive is split into d & e drives.

Have tried to defrag drive d but after windows has finished analysing the drive the drive locks up and I have to switch off the computer and switch it back on (ctrl alt del does not work). I can defrag both c and e drives without any problems. d drive sometimes lock up when I'm playing starcraft which is located on d drive and I again have to switch off and switch back on.

Windows used to come with a tool which allowed you to run a through test on the hard drive which would tell you of any bad sectors on the disk but this seams to have disappeared in xp or is it that it is not installed by default?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

AndySD 23:18 31 Jan 03

Go My Computer, right-click on the drive select
Properties, choose the Tools tab, and press the "Check Now..." button

rasalom 23:36 31 Jan 03

just tried that but d drive locked up again.

Timeforabeer 23:41 31 Jan 03

The tool you're thinking of is scandisk. I don't think it installs if your disks are formatted in NTFS.

AndySD 23:41 31 Jan 03

Try running it from the recovery console click here the command is chkdsk

woodchip 23:44 31 Jan 03

Disc utilities can do this, and need to be disabled

rasalom 23:45 31 Jan 03

firstly - love the name.

secondly, both hard disks are fat32

woodchip 23:46 31 Jan 03

PS and some memory moduals will also like anti-virus

rasalom 21:58 01 Feb 03

tried to run chkdsk but after completing 5% the disk locked up and had to switch off and switch back on.

any more suggestions?

DieSse 22:06 01 Feb 03

It sounds very much like you have a severe problem with the disk on that partition.

Firsly, you can try a proper disk diagnostic, such as the Seatools (or one appropriate to your make of HDD) - downloadable from the manufacturers web site

Secondly, you can try copying off all the data you can from the partition, and then try reformatting it.

Further action depends on what happens on the above.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…