Disk corruption from telephones

hoverman 12:58 18 Jul 03

I have been told that it is possible for disk data to be corrupted if a mobile phone is used close to them - especially Zip disks and floppies. What are the chances of a hard drive being affected? My home telephone is a digitally enhanced Diverse 2011 and I have always had the base unit on my computer desk - in fact it is adjacent to the PC case. I have never had a problem with the hard drive, but would it be wise to move it further away? I would imagine that the power level would be much lower than for a mobile phone.

i very much doubt that there is anything to worry about, your monitor is much more likely to damage a disk,

consider that your floppies are encased in just a thin plastic case whereas your hard drive is inside a metal box surrounded by another metal box.

GANDALF <|:-)> 13:13 18 Jul 03

click here will enlighten all. Personally I keep my floppy disks next to two high power speakers, they are left next to a radiator in an attache case, when out I put them in the same pocket as my mobile phone and nothing has happened. Wouldn't worry about it myself.

G

hoverman 15:14 18 Jul 03

Many thanks for your replies. It is reassuring to know that there is no risk.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

New Google phones UK release date | Pixel XL price, new features, specifications: Pixel X and…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This is the future of TV, VR and holograms

iPhone 7 review: Enhanced cameras, a refreshed design and water resistance make the iPhone 7 an…