Disk Clones & Backups

johndrew 15:41 17 May 06

As part of my learning curve (and a need to safeguard my data) I recently posted for help click here which was willingly given.

During my prowling (am I allowed to use that word?) of the web today, I found these:

click here
click here

Whether they are of help to anyone or whether they will do a similar job to Acronis I have no idea. Perhaps those of you who are better informed than I am will advise as to their usefulness to any beginners.

Many thanks in anticipation.

johndrew 10:03 19 May 06

Bump

GANDALF <|:-)> 10:22 19 May 06

click here this is freeware and is used by many here. Personally I and many others here use Acronis click here which is superb but costs...then again it depends on how much you think your data is worth.

G

johndrew 16:37 19 May 06

Thanks very much for your response.

I have bought Acronis as a result of ade.h pointing me at a real bargain (if you want to see click my first link and browse to his final one).

Prior to spending the money I did consider Xxcopy but became wary when I saw it was CLI operated - I`m not up to speed with that yet.

My interest in the two links was an educated opinion of them as free alternatives. Any comment?

Thanks again for your input.

Enoch 20:24 19 May 06

I have just gone onto Acronis, using it with an external hard drive. I used to back up specific date to CD-RW. I now back up my complete hard drive and must advise that it is so important to back up.

In 8 years of computing I have two situations that required re-installing my information. The first was in the early days and took days to rediscover my info. The second time was two months ago and all was reinstated in 20 minutes.

Back-up, back-up and back-up!!!!

johndrew 20:31 19 May 06

Thanks for your input.

This is my first PC - less than a year old - and I `lost` my first drive after about 9 months. Fortunately there was little or nothing on it which could not be replaced. This is the reason for my current high interest in good backup/cloning software and getting a third SATA drive set up as a reserve to offset any loss.

Hope this explains my concern.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…