Disk Cleanup XP

denali 10:13 27 Jun 06

I started a disk cleanup this morning and it stopped on "compress old files." It is still stopped and has bee so for over an hour. Any ideas, please?

johnnyrocker 10:17 27 Jun 06

what os? maybe reboot and start again?

johnny.

johnnyrocker 10:17 27 Jun 06

sorry just read the title;(

johnny.

denali 10:24 27 Jun 06

johnnyrocker I did reboot an lots of other cleanup things. Started cleanup again and it is still stopped.

johnnyrocker 10:27 27 Jun 06

try in safe mode?

johnny.

SANTOS7 10:28 27 Jun 06

click here
this may help,good luck..

VoG II 10:33 27 Jun 06

SANTOS7 link is good. Note that doing the registry edit will actually make it skip the file compression. This problem was fixed in SP2 I believe.

denali 10:40 27 Jun 06

Thank you all very much. I shall try the registry thing, albeit with everything crossed, including my toes!!

denali 20:42 27 Jun 06

Thank you all for your help. The reg tweak worked fine. VoG™ you say this was fixed with XP1. I have always had XP2. Does this matter.?

VoG II 20:48 27 Jun 06

I had exactly the same problem as you and I used the registry edit to fix it. It fixed it but Disk Cleanup no longer scanned for 'compress old files'. I'm pretty sure that installing SP2 fixed it for me - i.e. it then started scanning for 'compress old files' again and didn't freeze. I don't really think it is 'an issue' unless you are desperately short of disk space or you like seeing foles in blue in Windows Explorer.

VoG II 20:49 27 Jun 06

'foles'?? - I meant 'files'.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…