Dannyb 17:49 03 Jan 04

Whenever I start disk cleanup it starts to calculate the
amount of disk space I can save but always stops after
about four blue bars have appeared at the bottom. I
understand that this is a fairly common occurrence, but,
is there a solution or alternative programme that can be
used?

jimv7 18:13 03 Jan 04

This is for winxp but most of the tools and file systems are the same.....

Disk Cleanup Tool Stops Responding While Compressing Old Files
Applies To
IMPORTANT: This article contains information about modifying the registry. Before you modify the registry, make sure to back it up and make sure that you understand how to restore the registry if a problem occurs. For information about how to back up, restore, and edit the registry, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
256986 Description of the Microsoft Windows Registry
SYMPTOMS
When you try to compress old files, the Disk Cleanup tool may stop responding (hang) and you receive the following message:
Disk Cleanup is calculating how much space you will be able to free on (C:).
This may take a few minutes to complete.
Scanning: Compress old files
WORKAROUND
WARNING: If you use Registry Editor incorrectly, you may cause serious problems that may require you to reinstall your operating system. Microsoft cannot guarantee that you can solve problems that result from using Registry Editor incorrectly. Use Registry Editor at your own risk.
To work around this problem, follow these steps:
1. Click Start, and then click Run.
2. Type regedit in the Open box, and then press ENTER.
3. Locate, and then click the following registry key:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\VolumeCaches
4. On the File menu, click Export, and then click Desktop, type VolumeCaches in the File name box, and then click Save.

Note This step creates a backup of the VolumeCaches registry key. If you experience any problems after you complete the steps that are listed in this procedure, you can use this backup to restore the VolumeCaches key to its original state. To restore the key, double-click the VolumeCaches.reg file on your desktop, and then click Yes.
5. Expand the following registry key:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Volume Caches
6. Delete the Compress old files registry key.
7. Quit Registry Editor.
REFERENCES
For additional information about the Disk Cleanup tool, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
310312 Description of the Disk Cleanup Tool in Windows XP

click here

Dannyb 18:32 03 Jan 04

thanks jimv7 but that all looks to scarey for me to undertake.

powerless 18:37 03 Jan 04

Its an easy chnage to make, the way in which the above appears will make it look a nightmare.

No doubt you have click the link it will look easier if you read it from there.

However click here and download "Disk Cleanup - Compress Old Files Freezes".

#48 - on the right.

Double click it and it will remove the reg entry.

Dannyb 18:44 03 Jan 04

Excellent, thanks powerless, how easy was that.. All now done.

caterpilla 18:47 03 Jan 04

ihave this same problm could it be bcauese i used ace utilitie to clean out the registry of files it said wernt needed??

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

iPhone 9 and beyond: 32 amazing future smartphone developments - graphene, supercapacitor…