Disk cleanup removes important files

skeletal 21:34 12 Feb 07

I am tidying up my hard drive and intend to do a defrag in preparation for making a disc image with Acronis. I started up “Disk Cleanup”, but part way through I had an “Windows File Protection” error message pop up. I stopped cleanup at that point, but the message says:

“Files that are required by windows to run properly have been replaced by unrecognised versions. To maintain system stability, Windows must restore the original versions of these files.

Install your now.”

I assumed this meant the XP disc, so I put my recovery disc in. This then gives the error message:

“The CD you provided is the wrong CD. Please insert the into your CD-ROM drive”.

The WFP message box also allows “Cancel” which it looks like I’ll have to do.

I have used Disk cleanup loads of times on my old computer with no problems. What on earth is going on? And how do I get these files?

Any thoughts?

Skeletal

bluto1 22:03 12 Feb 07

I`m not clued up too much on this type of problem, but if this happened to me I`d run my anti malware programmes first followed by an Anti virus sweep. They cannot do any harm, and in the meantime one of our really clued up members will come along and give better help. Best of luck sorting this.

bennyhillslovechild 22:09 12 Feb 07

If you suspect that some of your system files need repairing/replacing, you can go Start>Run and type "sfc /scannow" (without quote marks)
This command will immediately initiate the Windows File Protection service to scan all protected files and verify their integrity, replacing any files with which it finds a problem.

You may be asked for your windows CD, but not always. Hope this helps.

skeletal 23:12 12 Feb 07

Thanks for the info guys. I've made some progress but will post about it later. I've got an occular migrane come on and I can hardly see the keyboard!

Skeletal

skeletal 11:34 13 Feb 07

Oh dear. Make that “I thought I had some progress”! But at least I can see the keyboard again.

The sfc /scannow idea was sound; I was trying to remember it so thanks bennyhillslovechild. I ran it and it came up with the same error message (Files that are required by Windows etc), but still wants a CD. I then put the XP recovery disc in again and after a few tries it carried on. All seemed to be well.

However, I thought I’d do the sfc scan again. It got further, but came up with a slightly different error message. This time it asked for the “XP professional CD2”. Odd since my computer has Media Centre! Again I put the recovery CD in, but no matter how I tried it would not accept it. I have also tried an XP pro disc, a service pack 2 disc and a supplementary driver disc I got with the computer.

None work!

So what is this stupid file it is after?

bluto1: A good idea, worth trying, so I did a full check (takes forever!) but needless to say there are no Trojans, viruses etc etc.

Any more ideas, anyone?

Skeletal

VoG II 11:40 13 Feb 07
  skeletal 15:40 13 Feb 07

Thanks for the idea VoG. I did exactly what was suggested but:

It made no difference to the error message; it still asked for Professional! Thus it must be getting its info from somewhere else (I rechecked the files and the word Professional is no longer there).

And, of course, this means the original fault is still there. I still have a dodgy file, I don’t know why, I don’t know which it is, and I don’t know where to get a replacement from.

All this from emptying the wastebasket...

Apparently!

Skeletal

skeletal 19:57 13 Feb 07

Goes from bad to worse. Given that all my CDs are the “wrong ones” I had the idea that it may be looking for stuff you get from MSoft update (these change the files that the file protection stuff uses). So I did an update.

This wrecked my graphics card! Yellow warning in device manager and system restore did not bring it back. Had to uninstall/reinstall the card; luckily this then worked. Thinking it may be something to do with all this, I re-ran SFC etc and have the same “wrong CD” problem.

So it looks like I can’t use Windows update either.

What a mess.

Ironically, I wanted to do this so I could do a disc image. What I’ve not mentioned (because it is not relevant to the problem) is that Acronis has a bug that does not allow you to write a boot disc, so I’ve already spent a few hours sorting that out (for those that may come across that problem, you have to do it in safe mode).

Still waiting for my Vista disc; that is supposed to be bug free isn’t it??!!!

Any comments still welcome.

Skeletal

Strawballs 22:23 13 Feb 07

This is one of the reasons I never recomend CCleaner because you have to be very careful with this one.

Strawballs 22:26 13 Feb 07

Sorry never read the post properly!!!

skeletal 19:48 14 Feb 07

More bad news. When I next turned on the computer, the card didn’t work again. As the Windows update had changed Media Player, I thought I’d uninstall/reinstall it (could be a tie up with the graphics card). During this process I got a BSOD with a “stop” error and an “NV_” driver problem. Looks like the graphics card again.

Reinstalled Media player, got graphics working, but then got the message that the computer had recovered form a serious error; send report to MSoft. Now I’m actually one of those that do send MSoft these error reports in the vain hope that one day, I may get some software that actually works for more than five minutes without crashing. It started the send and all but locked the computer up!

Re-booted again, and computer seemed to work. Time to do a SFC check again. Guess what, no change; I still get the message that files are wrong and that I have the wrong CD.

But the CD does have the i386 folder on it. Surely the required dlls are in there.

I am really confused.

Skeletal

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The updated 'Corel Painter inside Photoshop' plugin ParticleShop offers new brushes

Best running headphones | Best sport & fitness headphones: 4 brilliant pairs of wireless…