Disk Cleanup hanging on "Compress Old Files"

Richmond34 23:33 04 Jul 05

I run Windows XP Pro on 6 month old Mesh desktop PC.

Over the last 6 months perfomance has detoriated. when brand new it woud lopen files immediately. Now, it takes up to 10 seconds to open an existing word or excel file. My 5 year old desktop at work is quicker that that!

I have a 160 GB disk of which I have used less than 10%

So I thought I would run diskcleanup and the defrag the hard drive. When running Disk Cleanup, it just gets stuck when trying to clean "Compress Old Files". The hard disk whirs away, and 20 mins later I am still no further on to having a cleaned up disk. Any ideas what these compress old files are and how to stop them being created in the first place. Could these be slowing my system down? Any other ideas?

Thanks

Justin

jimv7 23:59 04 Jul 05

1. Click Start, and then click Run.

2. Type regedit in the Open box, and then press ENTER.

3. Locate, and then click the following registry key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\VolumeCaches
4. On the File menu, click Export, and then click Desktop, type VolumeCaches in the File name box, and then click Save.

Note This step creates a backup of the VolumeCaches registry key. If you experience any problems after you complete the steps that are listed in this procedure, you can use this backup to restore the VolumeCaches key to its original state. To restore the key, double-click the VolumeCaches.reg file on your desktop, and then click Yes.

5. Expand the following registry key:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Volume Caches

6. Delete the Compress old files registry key.

7. Quit Registry Editor.

Number 7 00:00 05 Jul 05

Have a look here click here

If you need help with the Registry edit, then post back.

Number 7 00:11 05 Jul 05

No need to post back then!

Richmond34 22:51 05 Jul 05

Thanks the "7's" - all fixed - great help....

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

Where HTML5 is headed next

MacBook Pro v Surface Pro 5