Disk Clean up & Compressing drive to save space

gazmix 13:23 01 Feb 07

Hi
I haven't ever used Disk Clean up.
I clicked on it & it started calculating & came up with a load of different things, some with green ticks, some with not! & huge numbers, some like 'recycle bin' with a 0kb next to it.Offline webpages with 310.000kb next to it etc etc
I haven't a clue what to clean up!
I always go to internet options & clear temp internet files, yet this says i've 1've 332kb!

Also, when i go to local disk properties & i get the pie chart!, at the bottom there is a box saying 'compress drive to save disk space'
Will this give me more space, will i lose anything?, what changes will i notice. I started it & then stopped it, but i noticed that my free space had risen until i dechecked the box!
Help please!
Gaz

skidzy 13:51 01 Feb 07

Run ccleaner first gaz click here

gazmix 14:40 01 Feb 07

Skidzy
I downloaded latest CCleaner & clicked on 'Run', it says are you sure as it will permanently delet files from my pc.
All the boxes have green ticks in them! Should i untick any!

How do i get rid of the Yahoo toolbar, i don't want it there?

Gaz

mahalo 14:42 01 Feb 07

Look in the add and remove programs, it should be there. Cheers

mahalo 14:43 01 Feb 07

Yahoo toolbar that is

andrew-196854 14:47 01 Feb 07

you should click analyze first then go ahead and delete the files dont untick or tick any of the boxes leave them as they are .

gazmix 14:48 01 Feb 07

Cheers mahalo, done that!

Will running CCleaner & clearing all it finds remove any important stuff on my pc i have like documents, music etc!

Should i just leave all the default boxes green ticked, run it & remove all the crap.
Cheers
Gaz

andrew-196854 14:52 01 Feb 07

no it wont , ps always remember to backup your music docs anything of importance to disc? sorry if you already know this

skidzy 15:00 01 Feb 07

When running ccleaner for the first time,create a restore point first.Leave ccleaner at its default settings.

gazmix 15:16 01 Feb 07

Ok, i ran CCleaner & it got rid of quite a bit of stuff. I'll run it periodicaly.

What about the "compress drive top save disk space"
in Local disk (c) properties.
What does this do!

Should i tick the box & allow it, will i lose anything?
!
Also the Disk Clean up! I don't know what to clean, or has CCleaner done sufficient!
Cheers
Gaz

skidzy 15:18 01 Feb 07

Now check your disk cleanup,it should be cleaned.Yes you can compress safely.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sony Xperia XZ Premium review: Hands-on with the new 4K HDR phone with Motion Eye camera and Snapdr5…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best laptop for design and art 2017: we test Apple, Dell, HP, Lenovo and Microsoft's best models…

CarPlay tips & troubleshooting guide: CarPlay tips & troubleshooting guide: Get the most from…