disk check runs at every startup

kimig1 06:57 14 Feb 06

Whenever I start xp professional SP2, it tells me that D drive (partition) needs to be checked for integrity and runs fle checker, without finding any problems. I have recently had a bad virus, which has ben cleared. do I need to change a setting somewhere, please?

Gongoozler 14:17 14 Feb 06

Try this.

Start - Run. Type CMD and click OK. At the prompt, type chkntfs /d and press Enter

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 15:07 14 Feb 06

Check Disk Prevent Upon Boot (Line 294)
click here

Eric10 15:24 14 Feb 06

If you have tried both the above suggestions and are still in trouble then what you're experiencing is what Windows refers to as "setting the dirty bit" and what you have to do is unset that bit. Every time Windows XP starts, autochk.exe is called by the kernel to scan all volumes to check if the volume dirty bit is set. If the dirty bit is set, autochk performs an immediate chkdsk /f on that volume. Chkdsk /f verifies file system integrity and attempts to fix any problems with the volume. It is usually caused by a hard shut down or a power loss during a read-write operation on that particular drive.

Now how to fix it.

First click Start> Run> and bring up a command prompt by typing in "CMD" and then type "fsutil dirty query d:" but without the quotes. This queries the drive, and more than likely it will tell you that it is dirty. Next, type "CHKNTFS /X D:". The X tells Windows to NOT check that particular drive on the next reboot. At this time, manually reboot your computer, it should not do a Chkdsk and take you directly to Windows.

Once Windows has fully loaded, bring up another CMD prompt and now you want to do a Chkdsk manually by typing "Chkdsk /f /r d:". This should take you through 5 stages of the scan and will unset that dirty bit. Finally, type "fsutil dirty query d:" and Windows will confirm that the dirty bit is not set on that drive. Good luck!

kimig1 13:53 15 Feb 06

Very grateful for all assistance offered.
Fruit Bat - what a brilliant site!
Eric - just about to try your very detailed advice....after I have set a system restore point!
Thanks to all - will let you know outcome

kimig1 13:46 19 Feb 06

Eric - thanks, that did the trick

chunklight 02:20 19 May 07

Eric - I registered to this site solely to thank you. That was really helpful.

GasGasOhlins 05:57 19 May 07

By coincidence I too have just been having exactly the same problem...so I will give the suggestions a go to see if it helps me...a bit of a hijack but relevant :)

GasGasOhlins 06:04 19 May 07

Sorry forgot to mention,(for others) that mine was indeed caused,I suspect, by 2 successive power cuts within 5 mins of each other

:)

herangi 18:05 31 May 07

hi i have same problem but when i try to run chkdsk manuly i get this massage

chkdsk /f /r d:
The type of the file system is NTFS.

Chkdsk cannot run because the volume is in use by another
process. Chkdsk may run if this volume is dismounted first.
ALL OPENED HANDLES TO THIS VOLUME WOULD THEN BE INVALID.
Would you like to force a dismount on this volume? (Y/N) y

Chkdsk cannot dismount the volume because it is a system drive or
there is an active paging file on it. Would you like to schedule
this volume to be checked the next time the system restarts? (Y/N)

pls help

thanks

Gongoozler 20:35 31 May 07

Hi herangi. That message is saying that checkdisk can't run while the drive is being used to run the computer. If you answer Yes (y), then it will run when you next run the computer, so simply type in y, and restart the computer.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

The Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild review: Five hours with Zelda on the Nintendo Switch

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…