Disk that came with laptop lost

liloldlady 08:57 19 Mar 10

Hi, I have lost my original operating system disk which caame with my laptop,RE: Compaq Presario V 4000, I am running xp home. We had a house move and I think it got lost then.I e-mailed the manufacturers to get a new one and was told that it would cost £35 for a new one as I am out of warrenty (OUCH).....The reason I now need to disk is because the machine is so slow, and getting slower by the day, that I want to do a format to clean the disk off, it is so much easier than any other solution, I have re-formatted 2 of my laptops with no problem at all but where can I get the disk any cheaper, it has the operating system on it along with drivers and utilities.....Thanks

birdface 09:43 19 Mar 10

Try pressing F10 or F11 to see if any of those will take your system back to factory settings.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 09:48 19 Mar 10

HP/Compaq laptops.
1. Reboot, and repeatedly press F10 at the HP logo until the recovery screen appears.
2. When the recovery screen appears, press "Next" and then "Yes" to perform a non-destructive recovery.
3. To perform a destructive recovery, click "Advanced" and then "Yes".
4. After the recovery is finished, the laptop will reboot.

liloldlady 12:54 19 Mar 10

So I don't need any recovery disks to put the operating system back then?...

birdface 14:03 19 Mar 10

Probably not but best way to find out is to try it.
If that does not work you could borrow a disc as long as you still have the keycode printed on the bottom of your computer.
If using XP home you would need the same disc so whatever you are using now you can only use that version of Windows.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Intel Coffee Lake 8th-gen Core processors release date rumours

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Apple MacBook Pro with Touch Bar review

Best iPhone games 2017 | Best iPad games 2017: 162 fantastic iOS games that you need to play right…