Disk cache removal

captain birdseye 11:56 19 May 03

Have tried the PCA search facility but found nothing on this.

How do I remove disk caching?

I have been asked to set up an old P75 to use just as a word processor. It had previously run Win95 but was screwed up. I have tried re installing Win 95 but got the following error. Setup found a compressed volume or disk-cache utility on your computer. Quit setup and checked your compressed volume with your disk compression software or remove the disk-cache utility and run setup again.

I get this same error even when substituting a new hdd.

The mb appears to be an Intel board (533 v 1.0) with a Triton VX chipset and a Dallas battery clock soldered to the mb. Bios is AMI

Tried the various options in setup but presumably the info is embedded somewhere. Needless to say there are no drivers or setup disks with the machine.

Any ideas please or do I just bin it?

Thanks CB

Gongoozler 15:50 19 May 03

Hi captain birdseye. I found this site click here, and my guesses are these:

As you get the error message on a new drive, the problem is not that you have an old Windows 95 installation, so it is more likely that either the drive is formatted for FAT32 and Windows 95 cannot install on a FAT32 drive, or you have Disk Drive Overlay installed to use a large drive on an old motherboard.

captain birdseye 16:39 19 May 03

Hi Gongoozler,

Thanks for the link..... I had tried all the steps mentioned except that I had continued to enable large disk support which was obviously the problem.... as you implied in your reply. Thanks for your help. By the way, are you a Gongoozler?...my conection is inland too.

Thanks again....CB

Gongoozler 18:05 19 May 03

Hi Captain Birdseye. Pleased to have been of help. Yes I'm a narrowboat fanatic. I also feel at times that I'm a bit of a gongoozler on this forum in that I hang around making what I hope are useful suggestions. If you want to chat about boaty things, send me an e-mail via the envelope alongside my nickname.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…