DISK BOOT FAILURE, INSERT SYSTEM DISK AND PRESS EN

dan boy 19:34 13 Feb 04

-TER

HI

Ive just built a new pc, but keep getting that error message. When i boot up it says this, i tried inserting windows XP installation disk but it says the same. Ive set boot order to cd then hard drive then floppy (is this correct?). Can anybody help or advise!

jim1947 19:48 13 Feb 04

Have you tried fdisk to set a primary partition and formatted it?.

dan boy 19:51 13 Feb 04

how do i do that?

DieSse 20:36 13 Feb 04

The boot order is correct. the system should boot from the CD (you should be getting a message to press a key to boot from CD) - then when the CD starts, it allows you to partition and format the drive. You don't need to fdisk or format first with WinXP, and in fact
If it's not booting from the CD you need to discover why, or you won't be able to load Windows whatever you do.

Perhaps the CD drive is not working? Try starting the system with any boot floppy with a CD driver on it, and see if the CD works

Eric10 22:34 13 Feb 04

Follow the advice given by DieSse as it seems that the CD drive has a problem. As it's a home build, have you set the jumpers on your drives in respect of whether they are Master or Slave? Have you checked in the BIOS to see what is being detected? If you watch the screen messages at boot up you should see the hard drive and then the CD Rom being detected. If you have a splash screen hiding your boot sequence you can usually press ESC or TAB to get rid of it.

woodchip 22:44 13 Feb 04

Have you run Auto Detect Drives in BIOS, although it should not need this with a half decent motherboard

gudgulf 22:45 13 Feb 04

You might also check that the ide and power cables are properly connected to the cd drive.

dan boy 08:05 14 Feb 04

ive tried putting my DVD drive in (whiich i know works) but its the same thing. In bios it auto detects hard drive as primary master and cd as secondary master. The boot order is cd, hard drive then floppy......i save , exit out of bios and it comes up with the 'DISK BOOT FAILURE, INSERT SYSTEM DISK AND PRESS ENTER'. i put win XP into drive, press enter but says the same thing. I have tried the hard drive on my other pc (which also works) but get the same message. I think now i know it must be something to do with that...but i dont know what........any ideas?

PS How do i make a boot floppy with a cd driver on it? (do i then need to change floppy to first boot device?)

DieSse 08:58 14 Feb 04

I am just presuming this is a genuine XP system disk, not a copy of some sort - and that you have it in the drive when you try and boot up??

And you get no message about "Booting from CD"??

Can you just confirm - as what you say you have done should work.

DieSse 08:59 14 Feb 04

Just as a test - if you remove both the hard drive and Floppy from the boot sequence altogether - does it try and boot from the CD??

DieSse 09:04 14 Feb 04

PS - I've just noticed the way you put things in the first post - you don't try and boot and THEN put in the CD - you must have the CD in the drive when you start the system up.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

iPhone 9 and beyond: 32 amazing future smartphone developments - graphene, supercapacitor…