disk Boot Failure

inmymind 17:30 25 Dec 08

Hi all,

just had a call from my inlaws, they've been out and returned to find the "disk Boot Failure, Insert System Disk And Press Enter" message on their pc, it was on when they left.

They put their vista disk in and after a while it goes to a blue screen with "A problem has been detected and Windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer.".

The Pc is 4/5 months old and bought from Cougar-extreme. Nothings been tinkered with and its been running perfectly up until now.

Any suggestions?
Cheers.

karmgord 17:46 25 Dec 08

you get this if the boot order is set to boot anything before the hard drive so if a non bootable cd ,floppy or cd is left in ,it is also an indication of hard drive failure,in this case i suspect it may only be due to overheating so turn off for an hour,if it rebots ok check out why overheating & BACK UP ALL DATA to an exrenal source

inmymind 18:02 25 Dec 08

Ok, they've switched it off now, will report back later to see if boots ok or not. What a day for it to happen!!

thanks

inmymind 19:31 25 Dec 08

Nope, same thing is happening. Any other suggestions?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 19:40 25 Dec 08

Disk boot failure means it cant see the boot fies on the hard drive.

You will need to do a repair with the XP CD if you have one?

inmymind 19:44 25 Dec 08

they've got the vista disk yeah.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 19:53 25 Dec 08
  inmymind 19:56 25 Dec 08

cheers, will have a go when i'm at their house. Why would it suddenly do this?

karmgord 14:03 26 Dec 08

might be only the MBR corrupt,(MBR Master Boot Record is Corrupt), You may be able to correct this using a VISTA CD. Start computer,enter Bios make sure CD is the 1st boot option,save and exit.Start with VISTA CD press F8 select repair console at the Command Prompt type CHKDSK/R press enter,
if that does n't work try FIXBOOT press enter or
FIX /MBR press enter.

inmymind 10:47 27 Dec 08

can't seem to get it to start from the vista disk, have changed the settings to start with cdrom. which button do i press, says del for setup or f8 for boot menu.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 11:14 27 Dec 08

put DVD in drive

f8

select DVD/ CD Rom

and it should boot from the Vista DVD.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

LG G6 review: Hands-on with LG’s bold, big-screen shot at perfection

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the 2017 Oscar-winning VFX of The Jungle Book were created

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…