Disk boot failure

Sidetrax 21:42 30 Dec 05

Ok well, I've just built my own computer, for the first time and everythings brand new, except for the Hard Drive.
After I wiped the HDD and installed XP Pro on the disk, it worked fime untill I re-started it and every time I boot it says " System failure insert system disk and press enter."

Any help would be great :)

Totally-braindead 21:45 30 Dec 05

Try booting from the XP CD, reformat and reinstall windows, you could also try the website for the hard drive, most have their own tools which you can download on a floppy to test the hard drive ie Maxtor have Maxblast.

Strawballs 21:49 30 Dec 05

I don't know if anybody else can suggest anything different but I would reinstall windows by setting the bios to boot from CD put the XP disc in the drive and reboot clicking yes when it asks to formatt.

Sidetrax 21:52 30 Dec 05

Cheers guys, I'm gonna try to re format it and re install Xp

Sidetrax 22:21 30 Dec 05

Ok, I re formated and re installed XP Pro, now, It will only boot to windows every other time, the other time it will show the message
"Disk boot failure, insert system disk and press enter"

Strawballs 22:29 30 Dec 05

Sounds like a visit to the web site of the hard drive maker to see if they do any diagnostic tools as suggested by Totally-braindead and half an hour to reformat and clean install XP seems very quick.

Gordal 19:33 31 Dec 05

Afraid this often happens to me - have you tried removing and then replacing the data cable and the power connector for your main drive???

Gordal 19:35 31 Dec 05

I meant re-inserting rather than replacing the cables. (Sometimes you just get a less-than perfect connection.

Sidetrax 12:47 01 Jan 06

It seems to be working fine now, though, only when I take the main power cable out and put it back in and reboot does it ask to insert the system disk.

But thanks for your help.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…