DISK BOOT FAILURE

STEPHEN S 08:18 21 Oct 05

Help -
I have a Tiny 3500-3 Digital Computer bought in January this year and it is windows XP.When I start the computer I am getting Disk boot failure - insert disk and press enter. I do not have a disk. I have tried going into set-up as Tiny told me to change a few things but it did not work (their help line is £1 per hour - a rip off) and it cost me £15 for no decent advice.

Help would be appreciated please

Thanks
Stephen S

rawprawn 08:31 21 Oct 05

You can download a boot disc if you have access to the internet on another computer
click here

mgmcc 08:45 21 Oct 05

For some reason the PC cannot boot from the hard drive and it is prompting you to insert a disk that it can boot from. You may have to reinstall Windows from the recovery option provided with the PC, which could be on a separate partition on the hard drive.

However, there are a couple of things to try before having to resort to that:

1) Download a Windows 98SE "boot floppy" from click here and boot the PC with that. At the A:\> prompt, type "FDISK /MBR" (without quotes) and press Enter. This will repair a damaged Master Boot Record. Remove the floppy, press Ctrl-Alt-Del to restart and see if Windows boots normally from the hard drive.

2) Download the NTLDR.zip file from click here and copy the two files NTLDR and NTDETECT.COM to a floppy disk. Boot the PC with that. You should get an error that the Boot.ini file is invalid and that it is booting from C:\WINDOWS instead. It should then boot. If that worked, try copying the two files to the root of "C" drive and see if it boots normally.

xania 08:46 21 Oct 05

Don't muck about. Its still under warranty. If they can't be bother to gove you a restore CD?floppy, get them to sort it out.

mgmcc 08:49 21 Oct 05

<<< Don't muck about. Its still under warranty >>>

...erm, "Tiny" rather sort of went BUST! Warranty is unlikely to be of any great use :(

STEPHEN S 09:18 21 Oct 05

Thanks for all your help but firstly there is no warranty as Tiny have gone bust and also I am not experienced in downloading the files on to a floppy disc as I have looked at the various downloads and I am not sure which to chose. I am able to access a computer at work.
Any more suggestions? For example how to install windows from the recovery option. Tiny supplied a reload disc when I purchased the computer but it is version 9 and the computer tells me I need version 11.

Thanks
Stephen S

rawprawn 09:30 21 Oct 05

If you have a "Reload" disc I am assuming it is a full XP disc look at this site and see if it helps you understand how to reinstall XP Home
click here

STEPHEN S 12:52 24 Oct 05

thanks for all the help I managed to start my computer using a download of windows 98 and then did a reload

SPECIAL THANKS TO mgmcc

Stephen S

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…