Disk boot error

Master T 21:18 02 Apr 07

My friend had a problem with his pc and wanted to borrow one of my hard drives "i have 3 a 40 gig IDE labled C for vids and music an 80 gig SATA labled D with my windows installation on and my 250 gig SATA labled E.

I decided to give him my 40 GIG C drive so i copyed all my data from the C to the E drive.

I then turned off my pc and unpluged the C and D drives power cables to take out my HD caddy, once the C drive was removed i plugged everything back in again and gave the C to my friend and he buggered off home.

Rebooted my pc ....... DISK BOOT FAILURE bla bla the usual thing, so i put my windows disk in as ive done this to fix this problem before.

my pc now tries to install windows =/ ..... normaly when i put the windows disk in when there is a disk boot failure it just starts up windows,
so now i when to my other friends house on my street and got his windows disk and tried that.

it now give me this messege 1. FD .44mb system type- (06)starting caldera DR-DOS

and just sits there with this messege

so i put my windows disk back in and tried to repair windows but when it tells me to select were windows is the only options it gives me is 1.\:C ...... but my windows installation is on D =/

before i gave my mate my C drive i tred to format it but it could not so i manualy deleted the vids and music.

Im trying to see if my friend can come back and give me my drive to see if puting it back in will fix the problem but i cant see why it would want the C drive when windows is not on it ...... unless it put the boot files there for some reason 0.o

Any one got any ideas

rodriguez 21:30 02 Apr 07

From how you described it, it looks as if your mate has the drive with the MBR (boot record, the bit the PC uses to find and boot a Windows installation). If it just has the Windows files and folders it won't work. If C: contained the boot.ini file, then it would probably try and boot from that then boot your Windows installation on your D: drive. You could try going into the BIOS by tapping DEL (or whatever key it tells you to press to enter setup) and changing the boot order so that it boots from HDD-1 instead of HDD-0. Or you could plug the D: (which will now be C: as the other one has been removed) in exactly where your old C: was and see if it boots up. Usually this is in the primary IDE socket on the motherboard (the opposite one to where your CD/DVD drive is plugged into) and set the little jumper on the back to master.

skidzy 21:31 02 Apr 07

Have you checked the bios as the boot order may have changed,make sure it boots from E and not cd or floppy.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 21:58 02 Apr 07

OK windows may be on your E drive but the initial boot files will always be on the root of C drive.

You will now be missing NTdetect.com, NTLDR and the boot.ini file.

Have you got a floppy drive on your PC?
Change the BIOS to boot from floppy first

Are you on an XP PC now? you can make a boot disk on floppy?

First format a Floppy disc in XP

Run type
Format A: /u

Then open Notepad and copy and Paste this

[boot loader]
timeout=-1
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="First harddisk, first partition" /sos
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS="First harddisk, second partition" /sos
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(3)\WINDOWS="First harddisk, third partition" /sos
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(4)\WINDOWS="First harddisk, fourth partition" /sos
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Second harddisk, first partition" /sos
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(2)\WINDOWS="Second harddisk, second partition" /sos
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(3)\WINDOWS="Second harddisk, third partition" /sos
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(4)\WINDOWS="Second harddisk, fourth partition" /sos
C:\="Previous Operating System on C:\"

Save as

in Notepad as BOOT.INI

Then in search find

NTDETECT.COM
NTLDR

Add these to the floppy disc

you can now try starting your computer with the floppy disc

woodchip 22:22 02 Apr 07

It's all to do with Master boot record, MBR

Master T 17:36 03 Apr 07

Im on a laptop atm with no floppy drive but i made some boot disks with a tool from microsoft when i was at work "were you need 6 floppys" but it wont load the disks and still give me the disk boot error i will ask nextdoor if i can use there pc to try your idea fruit bat

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation technologies coming to Siggraph 2017

iPad Pro 12.9 vs Surface Pro 5